New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, but I couldn't find anything, does anyone have a step by step How To on painting the interior? (what type of paint and process etc.?)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Clean the areas you are going to paint really well . . . sand it smooth . . . primer . . . wet sand . . . paint . . . clear coat it . . . now i have heard that using a two-step paint (a paint adhesive followed by the paint itself) is essential to make the paint stick to the dash

Did i miss anything?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
well, duplicolor appears to have what they call "vinyl & fabric" paints in both OEM and "high performance" colors.
unfortunately, they don't have the color i want, so that leaves... Krylon, who doesn't specialize in automotive paint; however, they do have a huge variety of colors for painting plastic and hard vinyl.

for more opinions, checkout this thread.

EDIT: Krylon Fusion Red looks like a perfect match to XR red. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
well it depends on what kind of look your going for. I mean you can paint it to give it that metallic outside car look or you can paint it to be clean smooth but not as glossy or better looking as the metallic look. Personally I like the metallic look. Like a midnight blue or a lighter blue that is really glossy and clean. But some other people choose the dark but not so glossy look.I think thats more of the amount of clear coats you put on though.lol.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
if you want to avoid a glossy finish, choose paint with a matte finish or even satin, which i believe to be a semi-gloss finish. lbizboy probably has a point with the clearcoat adding to the gloss. personally, i won't be using a clearcoat. i'll just repaint it in a couple years if i need to.

·
Registered
377 Posts
i used plasti kote cuz it matched my car. the onyl problem i had is if it sat in the sun for too long the paint would bubble a little. all that means is that it never adhered to your primer or your primer to your dash. leave it alone and it will fade away. plasti kote is prolly the best ive ever used but ppl have their own opinions... all i know if sand, wash, prim (x2) wet sand, prime, paint(x2 or 3), then clearcoat (x2). i have pics on cougarimage.com under hellcat99... check those out and see how it will look ( im apologizing in advance for the crappy pics)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.