New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3L Install Maestro
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an idea of what color would look good on the pillars and overhead display on a black cougar with tan leather interior. I will eventually be getting black racing seats and I can't decide if black would look good or not on the pillars and overhead. Should I try and find the dash color? Is there a how to on removing them?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
It all depends on what look you are going for. Me personally, I went with a different stock look. I didn't want anything too flashy, but I wanted to change what I think are mistakes. My 99 has dark cloth seats, dark grey carpet, and all the normal dash and trim peices (silver, black, grey). Yet a tan headliner and pillars. So I changed all my pillars to flat black and my headliner to black.

Your local cloth store will sell headliner material, but usually only limited colors to choose from. Look in your yellow pages for auto interior, call around, those places usually carry all kinds of colors to choose from.

Pillars are easy to remove, just start with the A pillar and pull them down, the B pillar needs to have the seatbelt holder removed. Once you have all the trim peices down, the headliner will fall right down.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Yea, I think I do. I will post some for you tonight.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i did the pillars in light grey and the head linner in black. but im changin my whole interior to black and light grey.

Later

G

·
Does any one have any suggestions on what color I should do my interior work. My car is grabber green, and I am not sure if I should do green or purple? Also I am thinking about painting the inside myself.. Can anyone give me tips?

Thanks,
Brittany

·
Administrator
24,544 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPED

Ha ha, Matt Cerins - you're going to have to change your username, so many people have ganked it!

·
Administrator
24,544 Posts
[No message]

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Originally posted by: ND4SPED

Ha ha, Matt Cerins - you're going to have to change your username, so many people have ganked it!

That's actually not Matt... just a coincidence that she picked a similar name.. I know her so I know it's not Matt.

G

·
i would like to know how tou paint your dash and things like that please. i want to start painting but im not really sure about how to go about it. If you could give me a few pointers and what not i would really be thankful. thnks

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Originally posted by: iLoveMyCougar06
i would like to know how tou paint your dash and things like that please. i want to start painting but im not really sure about how to go about it. If you could give me a few pointers and what not i would really be thankful. thnks
I have painted a couple things on my car. Basically, you are going to have to be prepared for a long journey of taking your time, using lots of arm muscles, and a lot of cursing. Seriously, I'm not the best person to answer this question, since I am not sure about painting all materials, but when I did the defroster vent for the windshield, I get a fine grit sandpaper, sanded the whole thing to get all the crap off of it and roughen up the surface a little bit, then used a few coats of primer until it was fully covered, then used the red paint I got and sprayed that on until the can was well used up and it was looking completely covered, then followed that all up with a bunch of coats of high temperature clear coat to give it that lasting shine.

I had to do this a 2nd time because the first time I got a bubble while rushing to get it done and that bubble eventually cracked. Best thing you can do is make sure to take your time while painting to 1) make sure you don't miss any spots and 2) not get any overspray which will lead to a runny looking (and crappy) paintjob. I did many light coats until it eventually covered it up, but if you were comfortable enough with your spraying, I am sure you could have done it in half the amount of time I did.

Another suggestion might be to go to a local junk yard or something and picking up some random pieces of dash off other cars and trying you hands at those, seeing how it came out, ect. Just remember to do it in a place where there isn't crap flying around in the air, or bugs and stuff around... a mosquito ruined my headlight covers, and if you look close on my vent, you can see a few pieces of dust here and there. Still looks great to me though! ;) Goodluck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts