New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out what type of bulbs the instrument cluster and the HAVC’s use. Some of my fellow friends are looking as well. Thanks

Instrument cluster
15 small
3 bigger ones

HAVC
4 small ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8,550 Posts
Strangely, I have never had to replace a bulb in my dashboard and have never had the dash apart - in almost 22 years of owning the car. Isn't that crazy? I've replaced a few exterior bulbs (mainly headlights and fogs), but I'm pretty sure all of my brake lights are original, for example. I haven't gotten a lot of use out of my "exterior bulb failure" warning light (specific to 1999 models).

Anyway. They should be marked. The Philips and Sylvania online bulb finders don't have them listed. (When you find it, let me know, and I'll add it to the FAQ.) I think I have a printout from years ago that listed every bulb, but I can't imagine that information has been removed from the online databases...I'd go look but there's a cat nestled on my lap, and we all know the rules. If I have it, and if it has more info than the online databases, I'll scan it and post it.

I think they're these and these. Looks like the larger one might come out of the socket?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking actually for led replacements. But would be a good idea for all to know the size just incase we have a failure down the road. I’ll look at them then. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Strangely, I have never had to replace a bulb in my dashboard and have never had the dash apart - in almost 22 years of owning the car. Isn't that crazy? I've replaced a few exterior bulbs (mainly headlights and fogs), but I'm pretty sure all of my brake lights are original, for example. I haven't gotten a lot of use out of my "exterior bulb failure" warning light (specific to 1999 models).
I think I'm in the same boat, I dont remember ever changing ANY bulbs in this car because of a burnout...I've tried a couple of different headlights out of curiosity but each time I believe I went back to the original ones that I kept in a drawer, so I suspect if I do pull them out they will be the original factory bulbs.

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts
My old Laser Red 99 had a lot of cluster bulbs out, so I had to replace several. I don't think I've had any fail on my 2000.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know there was someone who replaced their bulbs and made their cluster brighter. It would be the 3 bigger bulbs. I didn’t see a bulb number on them. Thanks

·
8,550 Posts
I finally found the printed list I have, but it doesn't list those bulbs, either.

I'm not sure I understand the comment about LEDs - they're usually sold as specific replacements for certain bulb types, in my experience, so either way you need to know what type of bulb it is.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve seen some on eBay but I don’t know if they are correct. I don’t want to waste money on stuff that doesn’t work. I wanted to replace the 3 bigger bulbs that are currently in the cluster that shines behind the main part of the gauges and on the HAVC’s. The HAVC’s have 4 bulbs in them. I’m currently working on replacement overlays for the HAVC’s and need something brighter than the standard bulbs. I’m not done yet. Trying to do some fitments before I run the final. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
How-to #30 probably used to have the information your looking for.

I dont know what "Way back machine" is, but B3nn3tt used it to recover a few of those old how-to's a while back. You might be able to find it that way.

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts
If anyone ever wants a how-to PDF recovered, I’m happy to do it; just drop me a note and I’ll recover it and attach it to the main how-to post. I just don’t want to do them all, lol.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah this is why I asked. I tried looking and some of the old links don’t work. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If anyone ever wants a how-to PDF recovered, I’m happy to do it; just drop me a note and I’ll recover it and attach it to the main how-to post. I just don’t want to do them all, lol.
Ok can u recover the led on. Thanks

·
8,550 Posts
How-to #30 probably used to have the information your looking for.

I dont know what "Way back machine" is, but B3nn3tt used it to recover a few of those old how-to's a while back. You might be able to find it that way.
The Wayback machine at Archive.org stores old versions of web pages.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, the proper led or bulb size for anyone interested in switching or replacing them. Me and another person was looking and found these #’s. Thanks

Dash Lights the small ones and HAVC are #74
The Rest including the Headlight switch is #194

1 - 15 of 15 Posts