New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why intercool a turbo and not a supercharger? I've read that the extremely high temps on turbos are because the air is being compressed and NOT because the exhaust gas heats up the blower which will also heat up the intake air temperature.

My question is; then why can superchargers get away with not having intercoolers, but turbos can't. TC and centrifugal SC are the exact same thing except what they are powered from.

Also, there is SOME heat transfered from the exhaust gas to the intake air, right?... I can't imagine the intake air not having ANY heat soak from the exhaust gas because the intake air flows right next to the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The shop my friend runs has a supercharged S200 that has a air/water intercooler. I would think that both would see benefits from having some sort of intercooler

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You should never NOT use a IC. The SC system gets away from it because you don't have to build boost on extremely hot days because you never exceed 4K rpms. (I know some people probably floor it no matter what the ambient temp is but its because they have no idea whats going on under the hood) My intake temps were apporaching 290 degrees on mild 70 degree days! That is pretty high. With a IC usually you can stay around 20 Degrees above ambient (ie I would have been at 90). Also every 10 degrees cooler air is roughly 1hp. So in my example I would have saved 200 degrees or 20hp! Not to mention reducing the chance for detonation. FI should always have a IC IMO.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Originally posted by: arskiracer
1. Why intercool a turbo and not a supercharger? I've read that the extremely high temps on turbos are because the air is being compressed and NOT because the exhaust gas heats up the blower which will also heat up the intake air temperature..
1. EXACTLTY!!! I agree it is absolutely assinine to not intercool any boosted engine much less one in the 9.7-10.25 range.

I know of at least one engine failure completely due to no intercooling of the Vortech kit. (it was a 98 SVT)

There probably are others, though the POS Vortech kit self destructs so often it's likely the people can't even keep the setup running long enough to have it happen to them... :disgust: ;)

·
261 Posts
Definitely should be intercooled and now the option is available. Check out my post in this section as I am going to start fabbing kits for the S/C.

Rick

A

·
0 Posts
Just remember that when you compress air you heat it. An intercooler very necessary if you want to run a decent amount of boost as it helps prevent detonation and lower EGT's. I have seen quite a few kits out there that are non-intercooled, but they all run very low boost levels. Like the kits for the non-turbo Eclipses and Mazda Protege's only run 5-6 pounds of boost non-intercooled. Those guys cant even run WOT for no more than a minute before their EGT's start soaring. So IC's are good. :disgust:

M

·
0 Posts
for most S/C's they are not running much boost as stated above 5-6psi. even some companys like RRM in Orange California make a turbo kit that is not intercooled. a turbo like the one thats on my EVO is running 19.5 psi stock and ive got mine pushed to 22. and if i didnt have a intercooler, holy god, 4G63 parts would be flying everywhere.

C

·
0 Posts
Yes what they said, Any intercooler is better then none at all. Of course an optimal one for your ammount of boost and displacement would be best, but hey ask those 4g63(eclipse, you evos have a fmic...yummy) guys, they have cars running in the 10's or lower on stock sidemounts. Detonation is the enemy here.

I agree, I dont know why they even sell those damn kits w/o an intercooler. Stupid Hahn and STAR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts