New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rant from a guy on FocalJet (Ford Focus site), and I thought he describes something all of us can agree with. Here is his post.

This is half rant, half Public Service Announcement:

If you see me driving down the street (2005 ZX3, Sangria Red, "CHALZ" in the top left of the rear window), and I happen to turn my blinker on, I am signaling my Intent to Change Lanes. I am not signaling to let people know that I have this offhand, whimsical idea that perhaps I one day might like to possibly, maybe get over to the glorious strip of concrete that you have deemed to be your personal lane, a domain in which you get to decide who enters. Again, it is a signal of my Intent to drive my car into the lane in which you are currently driving.*

If you are directly next to me or slightly ahead of me, I will signal my intent, brake appropriately and get behind you. If you are slightly behind me and there is no one in front of you, I will signal my intent, accelerate appropriately, pass you, and carry on with my lane change.

Now, if you are in the lane next to me, about a car length back or so when I signal my intent (and I am going no faster or slower than you), you are being an idiot if you decide to speed up and block me. I'm not a fan of idiots. I won't try to run you off the road, but your idiot action does not change the fact that still I need to get over a lane. If you leave me just enough room to get over without my rear bumper hitting your front bumper in an attempt to say, "Try it, buddy!" don't get angry, flash your brights, honk your horn, start yelling and screaming like a 3 year old boy who just got *****-slapped or hold your breath until you turn blue when I follow through on my Intent to Change Lanes.

Also know that I'm not discriminating against vehicles. If I need to get over, I need to get over. When you leave me that 2 inches of space, I'll take it whether you are driving a Focus or a Quad cab, extended bed truck with 38" mud tires and a 18" lift. Keep in mind, though, if you're driving the latter, you won't be able to see my brake lights when you're right on my ass honking your horn and inflating the vessels in your forehead.

In short, if you want to be a complete douche-cadet on the road, by all means go for it, but don't cry like a little child if cut you off while you're going to try to speed up and block me from getting over just because you don't think I'm worthy enough to be driving in front of you.

Thank you, that is all.

Chalz

*Disclaimer: None of the above applies if I am driving like a moron, cutting people off, speeding excesively, racing, talking on my cellphone, beating my kids, applying makeup, making love to my girlfriend, changing clothes, shaving, smoking a bowl, brushing my teeth, enjoying a cheeseburger and fries, snorting a line of cocaine off a hookers butt cheek or sleeping while driving. If any of those happen to be the case I expect you to call the police so they can pull me over and arrest me for being a complete and total retard. Hopefully police brutality would be involved.

**This has been another Chalz Public Service Announcement**

Can I get an "AMEN" for this guy? :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Amen!!! I feel the exact same way and never get angry at those who "cut me off" if they give a signal. However, no signal = fair game for me to react like a child ;)

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Nice. What gets me more is the asshats that ride the passing lane. Then do a little technique called "blocking you in" when you end up behind a semi. Not bothering to accelerate/decelerate, but rather maintain your speed hindering you from a lane change as if its' gods will.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. What gets me more is the asshats that ride the passing lane. Then do a little technique called "blocking you in" when you end up behind a semi. Not bothering to accelerate/decelerate, but rather maintain your speed hindering you from a lane change as if its' gods will.
The problem with that may be an honest mistake in some cases though. I know here in AZ, we don't have the "left lane is passing only" deal, we only have "keep right except to pass" signs on mountain roads in passing zones. Usually if I get on the freeway and am not exiting anytime soon, I will get as far to the left as I can. I'm usually going at slightly above the flow of traffic if traffic is light (maybe 3-5mph difference), and by being all the way to the left, I am less affected by the constant shuffle of people entering and exiting the freeway.

I understand what your frustration is, but at the same time, not all places have the same laws in terms of lane usage. But yeah, the people who like to "pin" you behind semi's really piss me off. I can usually look far enough ahead to accelerate or brake accordingly to merge over before I get pinned in that spot, but sometimes in moderate traffic I do get stuck sometimes.

Here's another one that really irritates me. Someone in front of me is doing either right on the speed limit or slightly below, in the left lane (of a 2-lane Interstate highway), and we are passing slower vehicles sporadically. I wish to go a little faster than the vehicle in front of me. I drift over to the left slightly, usually just touching the white line, so I can look ahead of said vehicle and analyze the traffic situation ahead of him. As I drift to the left to look ahead, said vehicle drifts over to the left also and blocks my view of the road ahead. I have had vehicles actually move across the white line to block my view of the road ahead. 99% of the time I am traveling alone and have no one to look and see if there is traffic in the right lane where I can make a pass on the right, and I cannot see through your Tahoe to see that right lane from my driving position. Yet you continue to move left and block my view of the road ahead. Many times I have moved to the right lane to pass, only to be blocked in by a slower semi and now I get passed by a whole line of cars because the nimrod in the Tahoe felt the need to block my view.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the problem with AZ traffic is that everyone is from everywhere and they all drive differently. when i was there i was all over the lanes just to get through. of course i was in a rental so it was fair game
After visiting Cali for NorCalFest over Labor Day, I see exactly what the problem is. When we were coming back, going through LA, we were doing probably 90-95mph, and were only slightly faster than most of the other drivers. I felt 100% comfortable in that situation, because everyone was going the same speed and not doing anything abrupt. The problem here in Phoenix is you have such a mix of people.

Californians who are used to doing 95mph in a pack
Older people who are stuck on the 55mph speed limit
Those who are from more rural areas and are used to 70-75mph speeds on the freeway

Throwing all 3 of these groups on a 4 lane freeway causes chaos, because everyone wants to go a different speed. If the entire freeway did 75mph, everything would be fine. But when you come up on someone in the middle lane doing 60mph, the 75mph pack has to shuffle around them and all this movement and variety of speed is what causes accidents.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
here in pa u get the ppl that think 80 - 85mph on the interstate isnt fast enough, so they ride up your ass, then when u let them go in front of u, they proceed to slow down to 65
Lol. Makes me think back to a post from awhile ago.

Pull up beside them and put a sign reading "SET THE M***** F******* CRUISE CONTROL!"

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Well said guys, one thing to add. It annoys me when you are approaching a red light, and swich lanes to get the poll position so you can get ahead of traffic. When some asshat already waiting behind someone jumps infront of you. I'm fine with that but when the light turns green they accelerate the same speed as the others. If your in now rush just stay behind the other car don't come in my lane and accelerate slower. Yeah that annoys me, they pretty much 'pin' you in with the rest of the traffic..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts