New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When are you suppose to clean it? I have 95K miles on the Cougar. Does it HAVE to be cleaned? Will it cause problems? I made a thread because I didn't see a particular thread dedicated on when you should clean it and what happens if you don't when you need to. And how would you clean it? Take it off? Spray it with water?? lmao...idk.:confused:

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
take them off and if there is a carbon build up you can get the lim bead blasted(sand blasted) that will make it brand new again, and i have no idea how anyone can clean the uim, would also like to know what people have done. will teh svt uim you can prolly get it hot tanked and then re powdercoated. a cheap way to clean the uim though is the simple green bath. use a 50/50 mix of simple green and water and let it soak for a few days, off course a more percentage of simple green to water would work.

·
8,583 Posts
Yeah, they're probably pretty gunked up. Brake Cleaner works very well for cleaning them. Do not get too much down into the cylinders however - take the LIM off to do it for safety.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,820 Posts
Seafoam FTW.

·
Administrator
15,570 Posts
I removed my UIM and had it hot-tanked at a machine shop. They pulled the soft plugs out of the end of it, and let it soak, then pressure washed it out. Took the powdercoat right off it...lol.

·
8,583 Posts
Seafoam FTW.
Do you do this while it's on the car? I've always wanted to pull the UIM, see what it looks like, reinstall it, then run Seafoam through it, then pull it again to see how much it has improved. I'm really curious to see how Seafoam compares to the hard way.

(With brake cleaner you can get it looking new again, which seems unlikely with Seafoam - but if Seafoam works really well, the difference in results might not be worth the extra effort.)

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
after reading your thread again, are you talking the inside or outside of the uim??:(:confused:
both I guess. I'm no hardcore mechanic but I like to do what I know how to do...so far, i've just put a cai on my car....maybe if cleaning the intake manifold wouldnt be that much harder, i could do it to. :confused:

·
Registered
778 Posts
will seafoam also clean out the passage ways below the LIM??

I did svt lite but noticed the passages way below the lim had a lot of built up crap. didnt know how to clean it and didnt want to be squirting stuff all in there.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
will seafoam also clean out the passage ways below the LIM??

I did svt lite but noticed the passages way below the lim had a lot of built up crap. didnt know how to clean it and didnt want to be squirting stuff all in there.

do you mean the ports in the head?

again seafoam isn't going to clean it out with just using sea foam. you first need to remove and clean everything then seafoam sounds like a great way to maintain the intake track.

you can also use a oil seperator to help keep it clean also. check out the ceg group buy forum for an interest check in one

·
Registered
778 Posts
do you mean the ports in the head?

again seafoam isn't going to clean it out with just using sea foam. you first need to remove and clean everything then seafoam sounds like a great way to maintain the intake track.

you can also use a oil seperator to help keep it clean also. check out the ceg group buy forum for an interest check in one
Yes, the ports in the head.

So seafoam is more of a preventative measure? I C. Much like the fuel/injector cleaners like Lucas and stuff. I was told by the dealership that the injector cleaners are good to just maintaining an already clean injector and feul system. Not really good for cleaning up a bad one. So I guess the same for seafoam.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yes, the ports in the head.

So seafoam is more of a preventative measure? I C. Much like the fuel/injector cleaners like Lucas and stuff. I was told by the dealership that the injector cleaners are good to just maintaining an already clean injector and feul system. Not really good for cleaning up a bad one. So I guess the same for seafoam.

that is my understanding, those who have seafoamed then removed the intakes found it didn't do much

·
Registered
53 Posts
what is the easist way to clean the upper intake manifold by my self. i am going to take it off. what chemical should i use?

·
8,583 Posts
Use Brak-Cleen if it's available in your state - it works quite well. Outside of that, carb cleaner and a brush (well, you'll need a brush either way).

·
Registered
53 Posts
alright, now what about the lower intake manifold. if i wanted to clean that. can i just let it soak to 50/50 simple green and water and then scrub with a bruch. maby end all that with some carb cleaner?

thanks.

·
8,583 Posts
The best thing to do is pull it off and do the same thing you do with the UIM. I don't think Simple Green will cut it (though it is good stuff).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts