New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a quote yesterday that for a 95' Eclipse I would have to pay anywhere from 500-856 dollars a month on insurance. The cougar was a little bit lower than that. I think insurance may make me have to get the cougar...

What did/do you 16-17 year old pay for it?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
that's a lot of money. When I was 17 I paid around $750 every six months.

Mike

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
was the eclipse a GSX? what area you live in you on yoru parents insurance? yeah it's high but not entirely crazy with the wrong circumstances...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You must have a bad driving record, cause that is insane! Even when I had to have high risk insurance when I was 17, mine was only $200 a month. One route that you could take is to have the car insured by your parents and have them put you on as an extra driver. That way you will get their rates which will probably be around $80 a month or so. I'm going to warn you in advance on this idea though... If you are the type of person that races around all the time and has pretty much no regard for traffic laws - this is not a good idea. It will end up with your parents having their insurance either dropped or their rates will skyrocket. Or you could just pay cash for a car and put liability on it. That would be pretty cheap, but you wont have any coverage for your car if you get into an accident.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope that's every month. It is 2000 something - 3000something every 6 months...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And... the Eclipse is a 95' GSX and I live in Cincinnati

·
Registered
713 Posts
JEEBUS man, that's WAY too much...either you have a really bad driving record, or you're getting your own insurance. Are you trying to get your own insurance, or are you getting on your parents? Normally if you get on with your parents it will be cheaper. I'm 20 and my insurance is around 300 a month (totaled first car 2000 Eclipse) but that was with a wreck. When I get re-evaluated I hope for it to drop a lot, clean slated driving record, clean insurance record, and have had my liscence for 5 years....so, but yeah, maybe you should call around...and don't forget to answer our questions..maybe we can give some better advice.

Good Luck, in all seriousness

Z (jason)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Unless you have a serious record, that CAN'T be right. It wouldn't be that much if you were driving a lamborghini diablo! ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm talking I would be primary (my own insurance) and I have never wrecked or gotten a ticket.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
yuor getting hosed bad on insurance if your record is clean man...sh*t i am 27 and i have had 2 acidents and written off a car and mine is only 900 a year...i would be looking into different companies if i were you even when i was 16 i was only payin 1100 a year for mine under my own name..something isnt right about your qoute..

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Sadly i believe that those rates are very possibly correct... They are high because you are in a metro area, my rates for my cougar with a nasty record with my car registered at my parents house in holland michigan are half that of friend s i have who drive 95 contours with good records the register the car in detroit area where i live. also killing you is trying to be primary for the insurace... get written into your parents plan if possible that hsoul help. also lookin into what value deductable they are giving you on this plan... alot goes into the price of insurance and well your age causing lack of record, car choice(Turbo car and 16 years old are not things insurance companies like to put together there are to many inexperianced kids out racing around the streets in evos, srt-4's turbo eclipses and so on that get into accidents... basicly i am saying they are stereotyping the car you are looking at as a street racing car. which gives them high risk) location, and trying to be main name on the policy.... that is what i see going on here... and really nothign you cudl do about it besides look around for other companies or other cars... or try to get written onto your parents plan and have them be insured on the turbo car...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea I was thinking about going for my parents plan but I don't want to mess up their 100% clean record... lets just say I would be toast.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Damn Stacy, how bad is your record. I have over 25 tickets on my record right now. I think about 50 since i started driving, and i only pay $290-$300 a month. No accidents however. But how can you be paying $400+ a month.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
amazingly full coverage on me for the evo i almost bought was only between 140-150 a month. i'm 21 years old and everything is in my name. 2 wrecks on record with damages totally nearly 20,000. man, i love state farm insurance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
On a new license, no infractions, 17, my insurance payments were almost 450 a month. That's quite a hefty total -- once my parents put me on theirs, however, it dropped to about 1100 every SIX months.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts