New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drive a 1999 Mercury Cougar 2.5 with the sport package. I am interested in installing a Blue C2 gauge Cluster in about 600 miles when my miles match those on the cluster. What I wanted to make sure is, 1. The cluster will fit in my car no problem, 2. It will work right, 3. Not as important to me, but will something like the cruise light work?

Thanks
Spriggan

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you do an entire swap you may run into issues. Mostly if the C2 cluster is from an atx and yours is a mtx or vice versa. there are also issues with swapping a v6 cluster into a 4cyl, but you won't have that problem since c2's were only a v6 edition. if you do have trouble with it you can easily swap the "brains" of your cluster with the face of the c2.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok the one I have is from an ATX I have an MTX, what's going to happen if I put it in the way it is? 2. What exactly do I have to swap to make it work, I know a lot of mechanical stuff, but I've never done anything with the Gauge cluster other than replace a few bulbs.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What you'll need to do is separate the gauge face from the electronics. Here's the easiest way to do that, and you won't have to recalibrate your speed and tach needles.
*somebody should add this to the interior FAQ*

I'm assuming you have figure out how to get your gauges out by now. If not see here . So once you have your cluster out you'll start by finding the black tabs that hold the black cluster surround to the white gauge pod.
There may be either 2 or 3 tabs(depending on year) on both the top and bottom of the cluster.

Lift up on them and slide the black surround off of the white pod.

Next you will see 3 small torx screws that hold the plastic that the gauge face is attached to that need to be removed. A T10 bit is needed here.

You will now have the gauge face separated from the clusters electronics

Do the same process to your other cluster, then reassemble using the C2 face and your original white pod "electronics".
reassemble the cluster, and put it back in the car.

You now will have a new gauge face and stay legal with the correct mileage. You won't have to wait till the mileage is the same this way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There's a cruise light? a light for when cruise control is active?

So I drive a 1999 Mercury Cougar 2.5 with the sport package. I am interested in installing a Blue C2 gauge Cluster in about 600 miles when my miles match those on the cluster. What I wanted to make sure is, 1. The cluster will fit in my car no problem, 2. It will work right, 3. Not as important to me, but will something like the cruise light work?

Thanks
Spriggan

·
5,315 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I thought the ATX had extras for the CD4E transmission, but could be swapped into an MTX, because those features aren't needed? But an MTX Cluster couldn't be swapped into an an ATX Coug. Am i correct? Or crazy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts