New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If you are to install a head unit, like I am currently doing, you can get an aftermarket harness to plug into the existing factory head unit. There is a lot of cutting and filing involved to make the unit fit there, but it is possible. Another problem I fore see is securing the head unit in place.

·
Registered
799 Posts
yes, i just finished doing this. I will have to post pics so you can actually now what i am talking about.

Mine is very sturdy and barely moves even if i want it to! I have a dvd player in that spot which may need a little different of an install than a headunit, but it can be done. I opened up my dvd player and drilled two holes in the casing and put two bolts in on both sides of the dvd player. I had a U bracket that I then bolted onto the player and bolted that bracket to the bottom and the dash. That probably made no sense what so ever, so I will post pics later tonight!

·
Registered
593 Posts
How hard is it to put CD's in it? I thought about doing this a long time ago, but never did since I was a smoker. I quit like 2 months ago so I figure this summer I may try it ... although I was going to try to hide it down there, like having a face to cover it up. The stock radio would be mounted back in so thieves don't see the aftermarket unit after hidden. Although I'd figure that it'd be hard to get CD's in there ... whether you have stick or auto.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have an mtx and cd changing is not a problem. I mean, it is possible though I have to be in neutral, 2nd, 4th or reverse. No big deal. I have an mp3 player so I change discs about once a week due to the fact that they hold over 100 songs on a single disc.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thx for the info ... I got an mp3 player as well and don't change CD's much, but do take it out to erase CDRW and switch up songs ... and that is usually when my atx is in park. But I guess I could move it to N or D to get it out for stealth's sake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.