New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am puzzled here. I hooked up the two foglights (just screwed them in and plugged the plug into them... then I installed the new switch. Still didn't work... I was told to get the relay, I needed that and I put it in. Still doesn't work. I checked the fuse under the hood... its fine. Was there a step I'm missing? Did I need the ground the fog lights? Anybody?

Thanks,

Marc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I have all the wiring that came with the Ford kit but I really didn't want to use it. I will take your word for having to rewire the whole thing. I could have swore there was a few people on these boards that accomplished the task using the procedures I did. Oh well, I guess I have to wire the whole thing.. thanks for the information.

Marc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I thank you for your advice. Tonight I rewired the whole thing with the Ford wiring kit that came with it. It did take like 2 hours but they work and its well worth it. Might have been more work but yes it does guarentee to solve the problem. This way is just as good, it also uses the headlight switch as I didn't want to add toggle switch.

Marc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the front end looks 10x better having those in there over the black filler covers :)

Thanks again

Marc

·
Registered
127 Posts
My early '99 has all the stuff there except the relay. All I need is to pick up the relay and get the headlight switch with the foglight switch and i'm set. I'd like to get the Euro switch though cus I want rear foglights too :)

still need that part number for that swich if anyone can help out....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I don't know what the problem is but it just didn't work. I hooked up the relay and the switch and it still didn't work. The wiring to the switch, to the relay, and to the foglights was there but it still didn't work. Not sure why. I had to take apart the harness for the headlight switch to add the new wires into it and pull the stock wiring out. Oh well, it took a bit longer but in the long run it is the same thing and if something goes wrong, I know exactly how I ran the wiring. It should be easy to seek out a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey redbeard, just a couple of questions and answers.

If you go to carparts.com, they have the euro switch for like 23 dollars, pretty cheap considering.

I have a 1999, I have just hooked up the fogs to the blue plugs on the car. I have the switch, what relay do I need to get the fogs to work?

Thanks for any help.

Jud

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just call up your Ford dealer and ask for a foglight relay. Its a part made in Europe, I don't recall the model number but it costed me $12 bucks... some have got it for $6. I have the relay in mine but it didn't do anything... so now I have a worthless relay :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks!

Jud

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The relay you need is the same as the blue one in the engine relay/fuse box. Just take that one out when you get to the dealership. At first I told the parts lady that I need a foglight relay for a 99 Cougar and she came up with the $12 part. When I took this one in, she said it was a $6 part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts