New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
I'm pretty sure you need to take the whole thing out. I've read many posts on various chips, and I've never heard of anyone doing it with the ECU still in. A few bolts in the engine bay, and the one on the other side and it supposedly drops right out (given you've unplugged it!)...

G

·
SBC, It sure would be easier to just install the chip with the ECU in place.
I removed the bottom bracket because the ECU 4 digit code was hiding under it.
It looked to me that it could easily be installed in place.

G

·
You can install it with the ECU still in. All you have to do is unplug it from the wiring harness and take of the black cover and use the scotch brite pad and put the chip on.

G

·
I bought my Diablo chip outside of the Group buy and received it last week. I highly recommend that you take out the ECU, it's easy and here is how and why:
1) Move the Power steering reservoir out of the way, it just pulls up and out of the strut housing.
2) Totally loosen the bolt on the wiring harness so its free of the ECU. You don't have to take the bolt entirely out.
3) remove the plastic bracket that supports the ECU in the car.
4) Slip out the ECU.
5) Remove the black plastic cap from the ECU.
6) Remove the six bolts that attach the cover of the ECU
Now you will be able to properly clean the electrical contacts. I found that the Scotch Bright pad was not enough. I used a fine grit emery board to remove every last speck of clear coat. After the contacts are a nice shiny light copper color then you can clean them thoroughly with Isopropyl alcohol on a lint free cloth.
7) Carefully connect the chip before you put the top back on the ECU so youcan make sure that all the contacts align perfectly.
8) Put on protective tape to cover the chip as the black plug will no longer fit.
9) Reassemble in reverse order.

NOW, why do I recommend this? Because it is almost impossible to clean the contacts properly and assure proper alignment of the chip on the contacts if you do not.Text
After all this, I could not get the chip to work on my car!!!! apparently my ECU was "flashed" by the dealer which I guess changes the code on the ECU. :cry:
Anyways, I had that sucker in and out of the car 3 times and I found the above procedure works well.
Scudrunner

G

·
I found out today why the Diablo Sport chip did not work in my car, and this may affect many of you who have 99 cougars built late in the year and 2000 cougars who want to use any chip. The chip will not work in these cars because the port on the ECU that accepts the chip is Not Active. You need to send the ECU in to a performance shop where they can install a jumper so that the port the chip plugs into will be active. I am going to do this and I'll let y'all know how I make out.
Scudrunner

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm getting the same problem Scudrunner. I wish I would have seen you reply <u>before</u> I got the chip! Let us know if you solve the problem. Or if anybody else has done it, please post here.

G

·
He is absolutely right about the Diablo Sport chip. After about a month of searching, I found out that there are four jumper points. If you can solder, It's actually pretty easy, it only takes about 5 minutes. There are pics posted on www.pdqperformance.com. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, it worked out pretty well for me.

G

·
I am going to check out that site too.
Shiny BC, how did you make out with your install? How has
your performance improved? Do you think the chip is worth it?
Scud

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once I figured out how to activate the terminal in the ECU, the install was easy. As for gains, I felt a <u>small</u> gain in low-end torque, but more noticebly the throttle responds a lot quicker and it feels like it pulling harder in the top-end. I think this would be a better mod for an ATX'er, but I'm still glad I got it. The gains aren't dramatc, but the imrovements over-all make the car feel a lot sportier.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts