New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the GMK extension pipe, and I'm trying to install it now. Problem is, #1 I can't get the fuse box out. I unbolted it, but there's wires holding it down, how do I get it out of the way, and #2, it seems that the battery tray runs all the way to the right under the fusebox, so where am I supposed to drill the hole? I started drilling some holes where I thought it would be, but then I looked and the holes went through the fender well lining and are almost above the tire....where is this hole supposed to be drilled?

Mike

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
For the fuse box, you just have to adjust it a little and move it over. It doesn't need to be removed. The wires are kind of stubborn because they have been sitting one certain way since the car was built and they stiffen up a little. They will move though. Here are some pictures for you. You should be able to see where the hole is drilled, and how the fuse box sits. I have relocated my battery to the trunk, but if yours is still in the engine compartment you can just move it over and the extension will still fit through.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow thanks for the pics. So you have to drill right through the tray huh?

Mike

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok I saw where the location was, i was able to move the fuse box out of the way. What's the best thing to use to cut this hole? I know you could drill dozens of small holes, but that space is tight and its hard to get the drill in around there. Maybe a hole saw of some kind? Also, after I put this thing in, the fusebox doesn't bolt into its location anymore correct? the pipe and the battery 'sandwich' it?

Mike

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ya, use a hole saw... You can get one that is made to cut metal for around $25. I was pretty creative when I did mine. I drilled a bunch of holes on one side and dremelled a 1" opening. Then I used a saws-all to get rid of the majority of the hole. Then I used the dremel to cut the edges into a circle shape. For the fuse box, the holes don't line up anymore so you can't bolt it back down. I found that if you lay it on it's side like in te picture, that it fits inside the battery tray edges really well. It holds it in place. Mine hasn't moved at all.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ZEX in those pics it looks like there's some kind of lip around the opening. What is that? It looks like you drilled from underneath. Don't you need some kind of molding or something around the opening so the pipe doesn't bang against the edge of the hole? Also, what's a good size hole saw to use? I tried the 3.5" but its impossible because the surface isn't flat. I'm going to try a 1 and 3/8" saw tomorrow. Are there any other members who have the battery, fusebox, and pipe in there with no problems?

Mike

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would guess that a 3.25" or bigger would work fine... I can see your point with it not being flat though. Try to drill a pilot hole to keep the bit in place. Just drill a small hole that the center thingie of the hole saw will fit into. Then it should stay in place. (There are two different types of hole saw blades... Use the one that looks like there is a drill bit in the center and it will help you keep it in place while drilling.) Other than that, I don't have much input. I didn't use a hole saw on mine. Just a saws-all and a dremel. But then again - it took me a week to drill the hole! As for the rubber grommet to stop the pipe from banging around... I positioned the hole so that my filter rests up against the inside of the bumper and holds the intake pipe in place. It doesn't move around at all - even if you grab it and try to move it! For the lip, there is a lip there... The battery tray sits right there, but the bottom is open as you get closer to the edge of it by the CAI. All you have to do is take out the black bottom of the battery tray, and you will see it. It is shaped like the picture below. The lip is where the battery tray mounts to the car. Also, GMK had his fuse box, battery, and CAI in place... Maybe try to PM him about how to position them. I would think that you just have to squeeze them in there!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK I got the hole cut, it seems like its in the perfect spot. But the pipe doesn't angle in there correctly. If I put it in, the other end is no where near the intake pipe. Do you have to bend it downward where the coupler is or what?

Mike

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you know what I think you're right. I tried fitting the pipe in the way it was delivered to my house...the more I looked at it, and your pics, I realized yours curved down right into the hole, then I looked, the freakin' pipes were backwards. I think I'm all good now.

Mike

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
let me tell ya, CAI is very very hard 2 do without relocation of fusebox or battery when u have an automatic, so hard i couldnt do it, im lookin it getting a batcap in place of the stock battery, so that will be much easier

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by: Kooter
let me tell ya, CAI is very very hard 2 do without relocation of fusebox or battery when u have an automatic, so hard i couldnt do it, im lookin it getting a batcap in place of the stock battery, so that will be much easier
I got it done tonight. I was working on it from 3 to around 8:30 pm lol. With a break from 7:30-8. The battery and the fusebox is in there, the posts that hold the battery are a little crooked, but everything fits and nothing moves, it's all snug. I'll have some pics tomorrow.

Mike

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Originally posted by: Funkboy316
any pics yet?....i have ordered my CAI and i would like to see some pictures with the battery and fuse box in place since i plan on leaving mine also
duh....how bout trying the vids/pics section first...lol.....n/m i found your pics you posted

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.