New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done the search and there is no how-to. I am getting a set of Matrix coilovers and was hoping that someone who has installed them would be nice enough to post a basic walk through. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just installed them and I didn't think it was that bad. I basically used a coil spring compressor to hold spring together while car was on the ground placing a jack under the car just so barly lifts it up. Then tighten the spring up after removing the tire and brake assembly ( 2 bolts on Brake Assembly). Take the (1)nut off for the control arm and pull it out. Also you will need to take off the the (1) bolt that holds your brake line in place, also their is (1) on the other side and I am not sure what it is that it holds. Those are located on the side of the strut. Their will also be (1) bolt at the very bottom and to the back of the strut and that will need to removed as well. Removing that bolt will losen the "pincher" that holds the strut in to place. Now, pop your hood and remove the nut from the strut. I had to use a rench and a #6 L-rench. Their is one more bolt. It is located at the bottom of the entire wheel assembly and that need to be taken off. When you take this off it will lose the"pincher" so that you can pry the wheel assembly from that spot. Move it around so that you can take the coil spring off. You will need to remove the nut from the strut that is holding it to the springs upper support. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU DO THIS!!!!!! I had my spring compressor slip off and my spring shot off into the street. Not cool at all. Pull the coil spring off and the rubber sleeves around them. Now when I did mine I, had to cut the cap off of the strut. You'll see it, it says Don not remove. I also cut the coil spring housing off of the strunt just above the welds. OMG don not try to use a torch. I know it could be quicker but, don't do it. I used air powered cutting wheel. When you put the things on the strut that hold the adjusters on I would put the so that the holes for the L-rench nuts are on top. put your adjusters on first then tighten them up. Put coil spring on and besure to put the chrome top (provided with springs) on.The ones with the biggest hole in the go on the front. Besure to use the rubber gasket between the spring and the top. Place the factory housing on the top and tighten the 1st top bolt to it. Don't worry about compressing the new spring, just lower the adjusters all the way down. It should side right in. Now jsut put everything back together like you took it apart and do the other side. THE BACK: is about the same and will be much easier after spending a few hours on the front. You will not have a bolt in the Hatch, well at least I didn't but, check to make sure. their will be to bolts on the side of the factory housing. But, other than that it should be pretty easy for you. Good luck and if you have a lot of miles go ahead and change your struts. If not you'll be doing it all over again. Don't forget to get an alignment done after words. You'll need it. Good Luck and I hope that this helps a little bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.