New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off. CEG found a way to make a 65 or 70mm mustang throttle body work on our cars. Subsecquent testing found that the 65 and 70mm Throttle bodys(TB) SHOWED REDUCED PERFORMANCE ON A DYNO TEST. SO.... the 60mm svt throttle body is the way to go. Leo capaldi runs a 60mm on his race breed cougar.. and me makes more then 300hp... hrm..

That said... there is A TON of confusion on what parts are needed to do the swap. Ill list what is NEEDED.

1. SVT Throttle body 60mm. F7RZ9E926AA
2. SVT Throttle bracket F8RZ9677AA
3. SVT TB gasket (60mm) YS8Z9E936AA
4. Some sort of intake designed to fit a 60mm opening. Most aftermarket intake pipes (injen,bat, spmotorsports) will fit fine. The SVT accordian tube will fit too obviously. It costs roughly the same as an aftermarket pipe though... so id choose one of those...

5. SVT Throttle Cable XS8Z9A758CA

#5 is not always needed. Some cars are already equiped with an svt cable. One way ive found to SOMEWHAT tell if you need one is by looking at the end of your present cable near the tb. If it looks like this ()__|__) with the wire going DOWN through the middle where the | is and looks like what youd find on your breaks on your bmx bike... you MAY have an svt cable. If it is the other way... like a cylinder with a wire going through the center of the two circles. You DONT have the svt cable... for certain. Id buy it just in case... it can always be returned.

Another point is that fitting a larger throttle body to a stock upper intake manifold is pointless. Its like connecting a garden hose to a fire hydrant. The water will only flow as much as the smallest part of the piping will allow. Just because you can let in 60mm's worth of air doesnt mean that much will make it in. The stock upper manifold is only slightly larger then 53mm. It will create a turbulence effect when you put the 60mm tb on it. What you need is the svt upper manifold. It has a 60mm+ opening at the tb port. The only other options are either having yours extrude honed or doing some porting yourself on the manifold. Either way.... you need to port match them at least to get gains.

So.. for the install... thats EASY provided you have the proper parts. Basicly you remove the stock intake parts... unbolt the throttle body... bolt on the new one with the new gasket... install the new bracket.. and fit the cables to the new bracket... its cake... im not even over simplifing it... thats all you have to do. That does leave out upgrading the upper manifold but that is beyond the scope of this howto.... look to danG's infamous paper on that subject.

Upgrading the tb is an easy way to get some more power. You need to do it right though. You must use the correct parts and you must give attention to upgrading the upper manifold if you want to get your moneys worth though. I see posts CONSTANTLY on the board about someone who didnt read the board good enough and tried to install the tb without the bracket or the cable or the gasket... These comonent are NOT optional. You may be able to bend your bracket around but why? The cost of the bracket and other components is not much and should not be considered optional. If you read this and stil have a question i will be MORE then happy to ansewer it. Ive got all info you need on this topic... and i will gladly share provided you have read the board info first... so.. yeh.. if you have more questions or think this howto needs more info or i made a mistake then PM or email me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You gave what appears to be part #'s by the things needed. What site are they for, so i could look them up if needed?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Any Ford, Lincoln/Merc dealer would know them as would anyone that deals with OEM equiptment

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are FORD part numbers as these are OEM parts. Anyone can look them up as those numbers...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts