New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered an OEM spoiler from my local dealership, but I don't want them to install it (first of all, they want 200 bucks, plus they have screwed up on my car in the past). I noticed that there are some mounting holes on the inside of the trunk for this spoiler (just the bottom layer of metal).

Can I just drill up into the top layer a bit to make a mark, then drill down, or should I create a template? It's the basic spoiler that most V6-S Cougars have.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
It would probably be better and easier to make a template to use so that u don't mess anything up. The way the mounting holes are set up on the inside of the trunk allow you to put the spoiler right on the edge of the trunk, so all u have to do is put the bolts in the spoiler, maybe put something on the bottom of the bolts to mark the locations, and put it on the edge & in the center of the trunk and drill out the locations. If you drill from the inside out, you might not line up the holes perfectly and spoiler could end up crooked.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The holes in the trunk lid (4 of them) are where your spoiler bolts too...If you drill straight through them SLOWLY and make sure you drill is level you shouldn't have a problem even if you drill a little bit off theres enuf meat on the spoiler to cover the bigger holes...Did it on the weekend with my visteon...Just Drill straight....The bolts are male on the spoiler..10mm...On the visteon they are female..

Just don't push too hard as dent you lid when drilling....Have someone hold the lid down when your doing it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts