New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MCon was saying that this need to be installed by a professional mechanic. Can someone post a brief explanation of what kinda of work is involved for installation of the quaife.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
1) remove tranny

2) disassemble tranny and removed stock diff

3) weld in new quaife

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
3) weld in new quaife

you don't exactly WELD in a new diff... you machine the shims needed to the correct thickness, install them, then set the bearing pre-load correctly

·
Registered
224 Posts
you should be able to buy a selection of shims fromt the dealership. but it should be left to a professional. it will be cheaper to have it installed properly than to have it repaired/ replaced from an improper installation.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Definately should be done by a mechanic. The mechanic will take some solder and put it on the end of the Quaife shaft and seal up the tranny case so when it is all sealed up the solder will dry to the correct thickness of the shims needed. Then all the mechanic has to do is pull it apart and get ahold of the correct shims. Might seem easy but I'd rather be able to go after the tranny guy if it breaks then take the blame for it. It cost me about $350 to bring the mechanic the tranny and quife. (I took the tranny apart already to reduce costs but I'm not sure if it helped).

·
Registered
787 Posts
It cost me $92 for installation of my quaife... 2 hrs at $45 an hour, and $2 for shims...

Sounds like I got a hell of a deal :shrug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.