New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, and I would appreciate some advice. I was hoping someone has performed this mod to their cougar. I just purchased a Hella HID conversion kit (not OEM) that includes ballasts, bulbs, mounting screws, connectors that plug into factory harness, etc.. I am installing them in my low beams (9006 size), and would greatly appreciate some advice if this has been done on a Cougar.
THANKS!

·
Registered
188 Posts
where did you get the kit and how much did you pay??? i have installed that same kit on a 2001 Jetta .. it was really pretty simple... we had to drill a whole in the back of the plastic piece that covers the headlight housing.. ( just big enough to fit the circular rubber gasket on the kit) it has to fit tightly to insure no condensation later on... then basically just snapped the harness in, and put the plastic cover back over the headlight housing, and place the ballast whereever they fit best.. and then we were done... i hope this makes sense .. but again i am only assuming that this kit is just like the one for the jetta... if you have any questions, please pm or post here and i will try to clerify.. best of luck

-Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey - thanks for response. I got the kit from an ebay seller ([email protected]) - he seems to be the best according to his feedback and my personall correspondences with him. It was $400. I am receiving it today so I will determine by the end of the day what, if any, drilling is necessary. Did you place in a 15A or 20A fuse in place of the 10A already in for the halogens? I was advised to do this as it seems sometimes the initial voltage used to power the igniter/ballast runs higher than that for halogens, even though maintenance of the light running is 20W less than halogens. I was still curious whether someone has installed them on their Cougar - I am surprised there have been no responses. I figure since the Cougar comes with Bosch projectors right out of the factory, then it's fate to install these Hids, since purportedly the beam pattern is much better through projector lenses.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah, I was surprised, too. To my knowledge no one here has installed HIDs yet. I was looking at the Hanabi 6000K HID 9006 kit (these are quite popular at maxima.org), much cheaper than the Hella.....but for the price you're getting them, that's a steal! Hopefully your transaction and install goes well. Let me know....I may contact [email protected] soon :biggrin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts