New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some new bucket seats and my airbag light is flashing. I assume this is happening because I removed the seats which contained airbags and the car is noticing that they are "gone". I want to turn it off obviously. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? It would be great if someone could help. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Some Cougars came with side impact airbags in the seats...not all of them did.

By removing the seat, you removed those airbags. You need an airbag simulator.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
That's definately the problem. When we put a WRX engine into buddy's 2.5rs, the harnesses all had the plugs for the side airbags, which the 2.5 doesn't have. Airbag simulators took care of that loop-hole. I beleive he got them from the dealer, but I'm really not tooooo sure, so don't quote me on that. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have leather seats, but I can't see where the airbag would come out of. Unless it pops out of underneath the handle to tilt the seat forward. Other than that, the rest of the seat is stitched - so I can't see how it would pop out. Then again - I am just going by my memory of what my seats look like. I could be missing something. If it was available in 1999, I am sure that I would have them because I have the fully loaded 99 model with sports and convenience packages.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hasn't anybody had this problem. I am sure some guys have put bucket seats in their cars and had this problem.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Side Airbags, rip the stitched seams, they were an option for either cloth or leather seats.
more than likely the harness you unplugged under the seat needs to be jumpered in some way.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I had a similar problem when I put my OMP seats in... but all I did was just ripped/carefully detached the harness from the oem seat and then attach it to the my OMP seats with some zap straps. Then for the ones that I could do I just took the clips off the harness and put those back on to the connectors, then it went away. I can take some picts if you like.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yep this is common...As a FYI Seatman seats DO NOT come with air bags even though they are labled as such, he does not install them because they are so sensitive and leave a BIG mark if they deploy accidentally trashing the seat. My car did not come with bags but when I plugged the power seat in my air bag light was flashing, seat man had me cut a wire on the harness and all is good. PM him or I will look underneath tonight which wire I cut; I think it was a yellow one that was looped back into the harness.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah that would be great if someone can post pics or tell me whico wire to cut. I will post pics on the front seats and back seats (they were re-apolstered) soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.