New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installed momo steering wheel

got my momo steering wheel today and installed it...took most of the night (about 31/2 to 4 hours) but it looks great. i will post some pics tommorrow. the only thing left to do is somehow disable that airbag warning light. it flashes to let you know that the airbag is not operational i guess, and its kinda annoying.

anyone done this that could help me out?

*edit* i added a pic of the wheel..but i havent had time to finish the shroud yet....still needs some more filing and sanding down but its coming along

the wheel and interior are not orange..its cherry red. i dont know why my digicam takes such bad color photos

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
RE: installed momo steering wheel

cool...

heh, racing wheels... they always reminds me of the steering wheels that arcade machines have on their racing games :tongue:

must be fun though if it feels the same - hurry up with those pictures :)

·
Registered
850 Posts
RE:installed momo steering wheel

You can use a airbag simulator, you should be able to get it at your local Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership it is used for mechanics to bypass the air bag to see if that air bag is the problem.
Do you have any pix and how much was the install? I was searching everywhere for a compatible hub but everyone said there is none.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

i'll look into the airbag simulator thing.

the install was free,i did it myself, i used the momo adapter for a focus, had to modify it slightly (a little grinding) to let the wheel move more freely but it wasnt that bad.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
RE: installed momo steering wheel

The only thing I don't like about aftermarket steering wheels on our cars is the huge plastic 'wall' behind it as part of the steering column. It looks so weird having a tiny center hub in the middle of the steering wheel set on this big old mount. :shrug: How does it look? Get those pics soon! :)

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

im going to take some pics as soon as daybreaks......and the plastic shroud doesnt look too out of place IMO....but it did take some work to get it to fit back around the hub....the hub is big so the plastic had to be filed down and sanded.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Nice job!!!! looks friggin awsome

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Originally posted by: Y2Kat
Nice job!!!! looks friggin awsome
ya, what he said

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Look pretty cool...it just looks like you have a few different colors or red/orange in your car....maybe just the pic :shrug:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It looks real good! I like it! Couple suggestions:

Use the steering wheel piece that you took off as a mold to fiberglass a cover that will hide all the wires on the bottom.
Take the rubber pieces that stick out off of the turn signal and wiper switch.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
loyalty....its the frickin camera...lol...its all the same red but my camera takes horrible pictures for some reason..or maybe i just dont have it set right its a fuji 3.2 megapixel camera...im very disappointed in it. but the red matches much better in person

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i picked up the steering wheel for 134.00 on clearance. retail is 349.00. the hub was another 60.00 and i also bought the third horn button for the center for 40.00.

once you have the wheel off you can easily see what needs to be modified for the hub to fit on.....basically you just have to grind the hub to the same size as the hub part of the steering wheel.

and yes it was super easy once the old wheel was off, getting the old wheel off is the hardest part due to the odd angles and bodybending you have to do to get the torx bit into the back of the wheel to take the airbag off. plus i was being extremely careful and took a break about every 5 mins when taking the airbag off, i was getting frustrated trying to reach it and all i could see in my mind was that thing exploding in my face...lol. so i had to stop frequently to regain composure and not do something stupid

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: Funkboy316
loyalty....its the frickin camera...lol...its all the same red but my camera takes horrible pictures for some reason..or maybe i just dont have it set right its a fuji 3.2 megapixel camera...im very disappointed in it. but the red matches much better in person
Next time, take a close up picture like that without a flash. That is what is changing the color on it. Just make sure there is adequate lighting BEHIND the camera. Otherwise you'll take a picture of your window and a blacked out dash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts