New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question seems like an oxymoron, I know--but I got the non-sports package-unfortunately. I bought a stock spoiler for my car and need to install it. I found the holes inside the trunk for putting on the nuts, but I'm not confident enough to just drills four holes in my car and possibly have it not fit. So does anyone know the best way to install it and make sure the holes line up and the spoiler goes on straight?
I'd love a hole template, but talked to a ford guy and they just eyeball it.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Make your own template if you are nervous.

Get a large cardboard box, and cut one edge so you can lay it open, flat on the ground. Ask assistance from any local breakdancer. Lay the spoiler on top of the cardboard, screws down. Now cut out the box, in the shape of the spoiler. Turn the spoiler upside down, and put the cardboard peice on the screw side (up). Pop the screws through the cardboard, and trim off any excess cardboard, so you will end up with a flat, cardboard, version of your spoiler. This will be the same size as the spoiler, and the holes will line up perfectly. Lay it on the hatch where you want the spoiler to go, tape it down, drill through the holes. Now you are ready to install.

Personally, I think that is a lot of steps for something as easy as this. I would just gently place the spoiler where you want it to go on your car, and use a marker around the screws. Or gently tap the spoiler above the screws with your hands, that will leave tiny little dents on your hatch, exactly where you want to drill the holes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, it's installed and looks great. I ended up chalking the four bolt covers and just drilling away, one hole had to be expanded and moved up and out a little, so it's a big hole but the others are all the right size.
Thanks all

1 - 3 of 3 Posts