New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a really straighforward installation. Just follow the included instructions (paying attention of how your intake looks right now) and you'll be fine.
Charles

G

·
I had a few minor problems with mine.

First off, the clamp that was supposed to fit around the adapter and filter, didnt fit. It was too small so we had to use a bigger one we already had.

Problem 2: The nipple valves on the intake pipe were too small for the hoses they gave me. They just fell right off...so we had to use our own hoses and one we even had to clamp down.

Problem 3: The hood smacked the filter when we closed it, so you have to kind of angle it down when you clamp it on tight.

Final Problem: The valve cover that connects from the throttle body to the intake pipe was too big. It fell right off and the clamp just bent it all up, so we had to use a rubber gasket under it just so it would fit.

I dont know if I was just unlucky with the parts they sent me (The first package I got had the wrong MAS adapter on it, it had no nipple valve for the temperature sensor, so that shows you my luck...) but its some thing you might want to take into consideration before you take your car apart. Have some extra hoses/clamps/gaskets lying around.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have ANY of the same problems that "Grey Ghost" had, RETURN the intake to whomever you purchased it from IMMEDIATELY!!! (Grey Ghost, I suggest you call the company you purchased your kit from and have them send out a new one...they obviously sent you the wrong one!) All the parts included in my kit fit fine. If you have any problems with yours, just PM me and I'll help you if I can.
Charles

G

·
thank you everyone for your assistance. Its scary rippin apart an 11000 car when ive never done it before. I appreciate all your support and kindness.

G

·
Well the only thing that leads me to believe I got the right "Part" is that it fits in the compartment just fine. I mean, these are made especially for the cougar, so it seems odd that a different one would fit like that (space-wise I mean) And all the hoses and other pieces were included together, so they wouldnt have fit no matter which car they were for...but i did send the non fitting parts (like the valve cover and such) back and got it all fixed up now...I was just pointing it out in case it mightve been a common problem.

G

·
Howdy Koolkat,

I just got my Injen intake last week, and installed it on Thursday. After driving it around all wekeend, all I can say is... the growling noises please me :)

I tried doing my homework on how to install it ahead of time like you, but didn't findmuch to help me out. The instructions are a little vague if you don't know what you're doing. I took my digital camera with me to the garage as I did mine, and I tried to explain a little better what the process is.

If anything, the color pictures should help out. The link is http://www.karnik.org/killroy/html/intake.html

Luckily my parts seemed to fit just right, I did have to trim the 12" hose a little, as well as trim out the inside just a bit so that I could get it on.

Peace and good luck!

~ Killroy

·
Registered
335 Posts
Killroy, that was a REALLY good how-to! I wish I had read that before I put on my Injen. Please do more How-to's for your other mods. I consider myself a fairly mechanically inclined person, but having someone elses input is always a plus! Well Done!

G

·
Killroy-thank you so much for your instructions. Im putting my intake on tomorrow night with some buddies and i now feel much more confident. I appreciate your care and concern. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks.

·
Registered
892 Posts
how many horses does the Injen add? i didn't think they made a CIA for our car so is it just an WAI? the other thing is, is the whle 400$ Ram Air Kit worth it compared to the Injen?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can expect about 5-7 horespower from ANY open-element replacement air intake system (no matter which brand)...I went with the Injen intake, and later added the Weapon-R cold air box, ram-air kit, and 2002 Dragon air filter. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it was well worth the investment! The addition of the Weapon-R parts really gave me some additional "punch" on top of the gains I got from the Injen intake!
Charles

G

·
Hola.. sorry for my tardy reply. I appreciate the comments about the how-to I posted. I'll add more as disposable cash makes itself available :)

- Kill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts