New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting into go-cart racing, can anyone provide me with any info especially costs/classes. I putted around a few weeks ago and loved it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'd be interested to know what "putted around" means. I'd try it out as much as possible first. We have a "concession karting" track around here... I think the karts have about a 5hp engine, top speed is around 35mph. I'd try this first if you haven't already. I think the next step would be to find a local race track and see if you can work out a way to drive a kart similar to one you might be interested in. If nothing else, you can ask lots of questions and actually see some racing karts firsthand... most should be CONSIDERABLY faster than any concession kart.

My research on this found that I could get a used kart (non-shifter) for about $1000 and a used engine for around $750. Also keep in mind you'd need a helmet, driving suit, tires, fuel, etc.

Check out the World Karting Association.

From my personal point of view... karts are cool because they're cheap, fast, and really teach you how to drive. However, I think kart racing is like any other racing, it's going to get very expensive if you want to be competitive. I was also a bit nervous about safety... racing karts (at least all the ones I've seen) don't have any type of safety system (no seatbelts!)... the theory being that you're better off being thrown clear of the kart in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was checking it out in the latest SCCA magazine, and after running for the first time at just a "Fun World" kind of go-cart course, I thought it was a blast. I know that Beaver Run where I autocross has a go cart racetrack, and I have seen them around, I have never stopped to find out more. I think I will now. This is my criteria, a class of go-cart that doesn't break the bank, but is still fun, something that is very safe, my knee can't take anymore crashes( head on riding a motorcycle was enough), and something that is competitive.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I was looking primarily at 100cc clutch karts. These appealed to me mainly because they're relatively cheap, and, without a shiftable transmission, should be easy to work on.

Yeah, if there's a track at Beaver Run, you should definately check it out. I think I'd also try to pick a class that has a reasonably strong number of participants. The competition will help make you go faster, and there will be more people to help you out.

From what I've heard (which may or may not be true), rib injuries are most common in karting... from hitting the steering wheel! Still, if your equipment is in good repair and you're a bit careful, I think it's a reasonably safe form of motorsport. Of course, any kind of wheel-to-wheel racing is going to be inherently dangerous. I'm sure a governing body like the WKA would have some statistics on this if you dug around a bit.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
5,052 Posts
Also check that your local region allows carts, in many regions they
can't allow at certain sites, because of inherent safety risks.

I'd go with a clutch kart too, low initial investment, cost of operating
cheaper than a car...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyones help. I appreciate the info. BTW I wanted to pass on that Beaver Run is going to have a Saturday Autocross every weekend this winter. That should be interesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts