New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to Lighten my cougar as much as possible. As I sit now with two 15lb racing seats, my 23lb 19s, and my body kit (no stereo or interior paneling) and I weigh in at 2680lbs.

Does anyone know how much the Trubendz Flowmaster dual exhaust weighs? Or how much the single weighs? I just know when I installed it.. it was a task moving it around. Look for my trubendz ypipe and stainless steel duals for sale soon

I am currenty reasearching 2 alterntive lightweight exhaust soliutions. (as i recently read an article where an S2000 dropped 220lbs by replacing its duals with a titanium exhuast system)

-Replace trubendz piping with single side exit 2.5" Titanium piping (expesive I know..but i cant find the piping)

-Have my msds ypipe terminate into a 3" inlet Borla muffler then into a 1ft long 2.5" exhaust pipe section then a Carbon Fiber/Titatinium muffler located under the car. (would this setup loose TQ? or affect HP?)

>-[borla]----[cfcan}

I am also looking into lightweight 16s strickly for track use. Ugly or not, If you have some you want to sell or trade PM me!

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Kenneth

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Start Saving!!! 2" OD tubing is $33/ft ... bends will cost more and will be needed because at that size (the largest they offer), you would need true duals (more power anyways). Figure at least 8-'10' per side if you do rear exit. Fuzzy math estimate: 20 x $33 = $660 + bends. Then you have to have someone weld it together and that will cost ya to. Can be done though ;)

Read this!

I personally would opt for custom long-tube headers that feed into true dual side exit exhaust.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Also, figure that the skill required to create such an exhuast will cost about 2-3 times of the material ... it's a $2,000 exhaust system (totally guessing here based on raw material value).

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
When you could really just run a dump after your muffler and save some weight and make it grumble more..

Word of advice... want to make the car light... replace the windows with lexan...

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Originally posted by: Cougaritus
Word of advice... want to make the car light... replace the windows with lexan...
As much as you could easily drop 100 pounds by switching to lexan windows, from my understanding...

1. It's not street legal
2. It'll scratch much easier than glass.

-Nick

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trevor you are awesome! Thanks for the links. I really wanted to do a true dual system but cringed when I considered the added weight. This seems like a great compromise!

I dont believe I will go with rear exit. Mainly to save weight and cost. Dual Side Exit sounds very sexy to me!

Is it true the SHM headers are no longer being sold?

Lexan windows would certainly be a weight saver. But is there anyone who actually produces Lexan windows for the cougar application? AT least the rear hatch glass would be nice.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
So...

What kind of performance are you getting now that you're down to 26xx lbs? How's the handling? How's the accelleration and braking? Sounds nice, but I wouldn't want to drive around with my interior! :biggrin:

On that note, did you check out the article on the Lotus Elise coming to North America soon? SUPER light. Powered by a lightly massaged Toyota 4-banger poached from the Celica GT-S. Low weight is great!!

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Hey wait a minute!!!

You're not following that forum thread that was going around the net about a year back or so, about how to have a 13 or 14 second sentra for a hundred bucks, or whatever it was, are you??? Don't do it man!

Massiv.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
if you want light weight rims look into centerline wheels
they are fantastic

I think I asked this before but 23lbs per rim right? Not rim and tire

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by: Massiv
Hey wait a minute!!!

You're not following that forum thread that was going around the net about a year back or so, about how to have a 13 or 14 second sentra for a hundred bucks, or whatever it was, are you??? Don't do it man!

Massiv.

Yeah I am. I already have a shop willing to cut the roof off and remove the hatch and remove all the paneling. Its an Honda Import shop here locally. Eh shoulnt be too bad. no fenders or body panels at all..talk about a convertable.!! :cool:

HHAHA nooooo way. LOL I am doing simple "Stage 1" weight reduction. Just by removing any un-needed parts and replacing others with lightweight counterparts. The stock seats are heavier than they look, the seat belt assemblies and all their hardware are also good for another 25lbs at least, believe it or not.

I havnt been able to really test the performance of my cougar in its current state. Unfortunatly a recent accident broke my solid front motor mount, seperated my header from the ypipe, resulting in a nasty exhaust leak and CEL. Also my struts are blown and the alignment is off. *sigh* Its all good though. My car is going into the shop monday for a new exhaust, koni struts, new sway bars, and a new solid steel motor mount, among many other things. It will be nice to be able to Really drive my cougar for once! Though in my current state i was able to absolutly destroy a Integra GSR with I/H/E

Yeah my 19s are 23lbs rim only. I believe they weigh around 36lbs including the tire. (Pirelli P7000s are THE lightest tire on the market) As soon as I have access to a small scale I'll know for sure. I REAALLLLY want Centerline Excels in 19s..only 15 lbs I think. But I would have to sell my Racing Harts first. Any takers?

There is a current article in Honda Tuning regarding the s2000 I spoke of. I believe the titanium exhuast which replaced the stockie exhaust weighed less than 10lbs!!

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
during races, just run open header, that way you don't have to worry about an exhaust system..

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
220 pounds WTF? How can you think that is rational. Its 22 pounds and the new one weighs 9 pounds giving a grand total of 13 pounds plus the massivly lighter wallet...

I add more weight then that on a Saturday night in beer! ha ha

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll go look at the mag again and see what the number was. I do remember seeing 220lbs in weight savings. It could have been 22.0lbs but the extra .0 seems unneeded grammatically.

I have an disk which has the weights of nearly every wheel produced. So you name it, I could probably tell you how much it weighs. The centerline RPM and the Excel are one of the THE lightest 19s on the market (excluding ugly as sin JDM only wheels) My RH Z5000's are only 2lbs heavier than the OZ superleggras. So its not too bad.

But anyways...Does anyone know the weight of the trubendz dual exhaust?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sorry to be off topic, but what are the lightest 16's available in 4x108? I'm thinking Rota maybe?

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
well the trubends duals obviously weigh more than the single....and the aluminized weighs less than the SS...

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts