New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month my Cougar has been not the greatest in the upper end like it has before. I am thinking its the IMRC, so i opened her up today and found nothing wrong at all. So i cleaned and lube the gears some and put it all back together. I than went for a test drive and i just seems that there opening up later. So i came home and had my step-dad watch the tech as i rev it on the TB. I would go to the right RPM in my head using my exhaust and he said 2 out of 2 times i was at 4,000, i was watching the seconders not open. So i went a little me and there opening at 4,500 give or take some.

So my question is, what exact RPM are they suppose to open at? I always though and read it was 3,500 +/-???

·
Registered
553 Posts
Mine usually open up around 4000-4200, right as the torque curve begins to fall off. The tach climbs faster, and I can feel that sudden push.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When i first got my car i felt them kick really hard (stock) now with my mods I don't feel it really as much.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,008 Posts
The opening point may be later in the rev range if the engine is not under load. Don't trust that.

I doubt they are opening late anyway. It's an all-or-nothing thing, and it's computer-controlled. Unless your PCM has suffered a BAD bump or come into contact with a large magnet, those don't get messed up. And at that point, I'd think "late" IMRC operation would be the LEAST of your worries.

My thoughts: you're barking up the wrong tree. Clean your air filter and run a can of 44K through the next tank of gas. Maybe some new plugs and wires are in order.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LIM,UIM,TB are all brand new and were installed less than 2K ago. I was on Demons site and it says 3800-4100 for the IMRC to open so i guess im good. I think im going to replace my wonderful Ford Racing wires! LOL

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Any misfiring issues? Stumbling? I had the same problem which eventually got worse. Culprit? Ford Racing Wires lol. I swapped in a cheapo set from Autozone and they've been good since March. Have you checked/changed the plugs lately?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pulled my plugs today and they all looked good. I am going to get a new set of wires tomorrow.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,008 Posts
I bought a set of replacement spark plug wires from eBay for about $18, and they have been AWESOME for well over a year. Ford Racing wires were mean to me...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Installed 3 sets of FRWs, including a used set to lbizboy's car, and nary a problem. Don't know what you guys are doing to these wires to make them fail... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a way to test the wires?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Umm... Install them? They're probably a carbon core, so testing impedance is probably useless... They'll all read open circuit. It's only at the high voltage of the coil pack that it becomes a conductor...

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ohm's?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Ohms is resistance. Impedance measure the full spectrum of the resistance to voltage and current flow. I don't know how you can measure this easily- Someone probably sells a tester.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Originally posted by: lbizboy
Yeah USED FRWS on my car and not a problem yet. No misfires, no nothing
Wanna buy my used ones? I'll GUARANTEE misfires galore lol. And theyre red.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well about a month ago i had a misfire with the wires. Only happened once but they look fine and haven't done it since. Maybe its b/c there red! LOL Im going to change them anyway. Thanks

I was driving home tonight and did some "testing" and the IMRC is fine! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.