New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno... i think my IRMC might be bad... i really dont feel that "KICK" around 3-4k RPMs and in fact it feels kinda sluggish through until im realyl crusing over 55... SO my question is.. if my IMRC is bad and isnt opening the secondaries there should be a code being thrown right? I read that secondaries not opening wont CEL b/c "It figures the engine wont fire a CEL when its starved of 30hp" :)

Im hoping to have my friend hook his reader up to my car tomorrow and see, but wanted your thoughts

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,977 Posts
How old is your air filter?

I only say that because I personally went WAY too long between cleanings on the K&N. When I finally started to notice how sluggish the thing was getting, I cleaned it, and got all my horsies back. The difference was pretty amazing, and all up there in the top end.

When your IMRC goes, there's no wondering if that "might" be the problem. You can definitely tell for sure that there is a SERIOUS problem. You can feel it like crazy. If you're not sure, then chances are your IMRC is okay, or else you drive like a granny.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
air fliter is clean... just replaced it.... but man im not feeling that kick or pull everyone says u should feel... the thing is just so sluggish compared to when i bought it a year and half ago

·
Registered
59 Posts
check the how to's for IMRC Service. I had the same problem, re-greased them, there was no damage, and blew the dust out with compressed air and got my engine back!! before i had a hell of a lot of trouble beating a 2003 grand prix (not gtp) off the line.. i felt sad.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Anyone ever tried that Air Filter Oil ? said it was supposed to clean air filters .... how an oil will do that i got no idea.... just seen it on a few shelves. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
The oil is not used to "clean" the filter. I might have seen maybe a K&N Re-charge kit on the shelf which does this: Spray the cleaner on, let is sit for 10 mins, than hose it off. Let it dry than apply the oil and let sit to FULLY dry. Than put it back on the car, the oil is used at a protection layer u might say!

·
Registered
59 Posts
you clean the filter, and the oil is put on after, the oil is what catches the particles, that you dont want in your engine, air doesnt stick to oil :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.