New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and read all the IRMC how to's and there are different stories for doing it and and i just wanna know exactly what to do! Do I lube the gears? Do I spin the gears? Just clean the motor with electic motor cleaner? etc. If someone could just post the link to the best way to clean it that would be great

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
remove the cover, spin the gears, clean them off if neccessary. lube with a silicone based lube or dialectic grease. same grease used on spark plugs. spin the gears put cover back on. enjoy the happiness that is your secondaries.

i did this last week and can't believe it actaully worked.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Actually, i'm having the P1518 error code since a couple week ago, but the car still running ok (even on highway), I cleaned with an electric devices cleaner and put some grease to the gear array, unplug the battery and still having the code after a second engine turn on.

But there are 2 issues kinda weird:

the last owner put it in a wrong position so the water pump pullet ripped off the trottle cable by it's core (didn't hit the inner cable) so maybe the inner cable is stucking while moving and making the core to come out.

and the other one... Is not the original imrc! well, you guys said the engine mount has 3 screw holes... but mine only has 1! so the imrc is mounted on the engine with only this bolt (i'll post some pics by tomorrow), can you please tell me wich part is wrong, the engine cover or the imrc?

P.S. can i put a non-contour's imrc? or it must be svt?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,941 Posts
All 2.5 duratec IMRC boxes are alike, Contours and Cougars, even the SVT. The valve cover should have 3 posts for the IMRC to bolt to, corresponding to the 3 bolt-holes on the IMRC box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.