New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Requires:

1 socket set (or at least one that will fit over the Duratec engine cover bolts)
1 phillips head screwdriver
1 can compressed air w/ spray tube

Remove the 2.5L Duratec cover.

Remove the 4 phillips head screws located on the square metal box. It is to the right of the oil cap.

Now, place the screwdriver behind the box and use the manifolds to leverage and pry the top off.

*** OPTIONAL You can remove all the screws from the green circuit board. Make sure you touch the car's metal in some to take any charge out of your body.

Gently remove the motor on the left side of the box.

Place the spray tube in every crevice you can and spray it clean.

Re-assemble.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I recommend spinning the motor itself about 40 times in both directions and spay inside the motor to clean out deposits.

This has proven to fix an intermittant IMRC motor on numerous occations.

·
Administrator
11,752 Posts
I don't see how a piece of equipment that is sealed with a gasket can get dirty enough to cause problems like this. And there is a hobby electric motor cleaner that works better btw.

I think people have discovered it's heat that is causing the problems. When we replaced mine we cracked it open and you could faintly smell burnt electronics. The unit doesn't get enough airflow around it with the engine shroud on.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
this did work for a while, but i imagine that with 124k miles on it, that its just time i replace mine. i was amazed at how well it worked after a little cleaning.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Basically in any gear, if you rev and then halt at around 4k. You lose top end accleration and the intake charge becomes twice as loud.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The compressed air "fix" doesn't work at all. Here's' the fix that actually works. Total cost=~$3.00 Total time=~30 minutes. Follow the links in that post to get to the How-To with pictures.
Nathan

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I tryed the compressed air method and now it works like its brand spankin new, its awsome. Def try the air first. It's cheaper and easier then the cirsuit board and if that doesnt' work then try the transistor.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Can i use CO2 to clean the IMRC?

·
Registered
470 Posts
any one know, i need to know asap

·
Registered
470 Posts
Basically after 3400RPM you feel the car accelerate faster. If it doesnt or you just hear your intake sound twice as loud then it doesnt work. iv tried the cleaning method, didnt work. I am waiting for the transistor then ill see of that works. Its a f*cking PITA. i hate it.
What type transistor did you buy? Use the TIP102.

·
is a pop sensation
13,676 Posts
I'd try that since it's cheap and easy. It worked on mine several months ago, and it's still running strong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.