New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's how to fix it.

Open your hood (duh)
Make sure you put up the prop rod, so the hood doesn't slam back on your head. (I've seen someone do it)
Look at the black plastic piece, the one that has the "2.5L DOHC DURATEC" thing on it, find the (IIRC) 3 bolts that hold it on.
Once thats off, you will see a little metal box, about 4"x 6". Take out the 4 screws holding the cover on.
There is some silicone seal that holds it on, you may have to get a flathead screwdriver and pry that off. Sometimes its a PITA.
Once inside, you will see some gears. Thats what engages to open youe IMRC's.
Get some black silicone lubricant (Permatex stuff @ VatoZone)- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LUBRICANT, NOT THE SILICONE SEALER. YOUR IMRC WON'T LIKE SEALANT ON THE GEARS!!!
Squeeze some of it onto the gears, take a flathead screwdriver, and spin the gears all the way until they stop. Then spin them the other way until they stop again. Do this a couple times, until all the gears are well-lubed.
Another thing you can do while you're in there is get an air blower and blow compressed air in by the motor and blow out any dust that may have been built up on the components.
Put everything back together, and see if the problem is gone.

NOTE: Sometimes your IMRC is too damaged to be fixed with the lubricant, and needs to be replaced. Don't worry, its not that difficult.

Here is the "how-to" that Fett posted in another thread, I'll go ahead and use it. But give Fett the credit for this, I personally haven't done this yet.
"Honestly it is pretty self explanitory. Remove the airbox and inlet pipe going to the TB. Remove the waterpump and IMRC cover (plastic thing that says DURATEC 2.5). Unplug the connector to the IMRC, remove the three bolts holding it down. Follow the cable going from the IMRC to the LIM control. Unsnap the line at the LIM and feed the cable out, reverse the procedure."

Hopefully this helps those guys having trouble with thier IMRC! In fact, I'm gonna be doing this sometime soon, I'll try to take some pictures and add them here. If you have any questions about this, feel free to ask.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.