New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to look at ways of improving spark voltage so that I can open up the gap on my plugs to .055. The cars soot out the exhaust at all times. Under hard acceleration, they sometimes look like diesels. As the duty cycle is far different than most, I am always above 4,000 rpm and mostly between 6,000 and 8,000 rpm I want to improve things up there. I am presently using a stock setup of isolated coil and 6 wires. My SDS Setup has 3 2 terminal coils and I assume that would be better, but I really don't want to change over the ECU to an unknown setup and go through all the tuning again.

Ideas?

Eric

·
3,399 Posts
In the 3S cars there is a decent voltage drop between running voltage at the battery and the voltage that gets to the coils so one of the things we do is hotwire the coils using a relay coming off the battery that gets triggered by the original coil pack power wire. This is usually enough for us to be able to run upwards of 20-30PSI with plug gaps in the low 30s without any spark blowout. Other options include things like the HKS DLI, Kenne-Bell Boost-A-Spark, or an MSD box. On our 98/99 flashable PCMs we also have the option to increase the max dwell time which helps as well. In my case, I am running a COP setup (using 300M coils) with the hotwire relay and have increased the max dwell in the PCM and have been able to run 20PSI on TD04H-16T turbos and NGK coppers at .032" without any spark blowout

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool idea. I will measure the voltage and see if its an issue. I hadn't thought of a MSD box or any way of increasing dwell time. Its looking more and more like I will have to put the programmable SDS ECU on the car...

Maybe sell the SDS and get a Megasquirt.

Eric

·
Registered
221 Posts
This thread is pretty old but I was looking for an answer and this is kinda down the same road. I ordered a MSD Coil pack a year or so ago and never could make it work good...it would miss out occasionally and just go fed up with messing with it- as a few others here on the forms have also tried. A couple of weeks ago I saw on ebay a set of Taylor Wires -made in the USA in Missouri so I ordered a set through Summit and when I received them, I was impressed with the quality these I am happy with and would recommend. While I was changing them out, I thought what the heck I will give the MSD coil pack another try. (NOTE: if you purchase an MSD - which I thought stood for "Multiple Spark Dishcharge" you actually get Capacitive Discharge Technology at least in this coil. I thought MSD was also the name of a company that patented this process but instead mine came from Street Fire, which states that it is an MSD Brand Separate company- www.street-fire.com part number 5528. In my mind that is completely different. True Multiple spark discharge has multiple sparks on each firing in theory to burn or combust more of the fuel air in the cylinder.) At first fire, things were great. I am thinking that the original problem was that I was pushing to much voltage into the original spark plugs wires and getting arc through either by the boots or next to the block/valve cover somewhere. Now this was not happening- I was happy for about a week - now, I have an intermittent very very noticeable loud knocking from number 1 or number 4 or at least that end. kinda like the guy who posted here a few days ago with a video on YouTube, (cant find it now). some of the comments were Piston slap, broken spark plug, noisy damper pulley. It sounded awful and was sure I lost a lifter and bent a valve, but then it went away! It has come back two or three times since and then dissapears again. this is the 3.0 conversion with only 29K miles. i think I will pull all the plugs when I get a chance, any other thoughts. If I broke something internal I'm going to be p(*&ssed!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm thinking I have a Knock issue any body have any experience with this?

This is a good knock explanation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgmsA6nCV0o&t=21s

I have two codes PO453 "Evaporator emission system pressure sensor/switch high input" and PO401 "Exhaust gas re-circulation flow insufficient detected"

Can you guys even see this, I always use the What's new search on the top bar and this last post didn't even show up???

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmm, that's pretty different from the slight low rpm stumble I'm dealing with. If I can't fix it going through the vacuum operated systems spark will be the next thing I look at though. Weak spark under high cylinder pressures could well match the symptom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
good afternoon, does anyone know what discharge voltage handles the original coil pack and what discharge voltage handles the MSD street fire coil pack ??? Thank you!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts