New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was thinking a little. Would a EGR delete and Oil catch cans be a good idea to install? Making the air going to the combustion chamber cleaner is always better isn't it?

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Oil catch can is great. EGR systems are beneficial and improve fuel economy; don’t mess with that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
But didn't they remove the EGR on the Facelift engines?

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Engines with variable valve timing use that feature to accomplish the same thing that the old EGR system does. But this era of Duratec does not have VVT.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So the 2544 Duratecs don't have VVT and the 2495 do?

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
So the 2544 Duratecs don't have VVT and the 2495 do?
No Cougar ever had VVT. The 2495s have the same EGR system as the 2544s.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
What? Wait the Facelift 2495 has its EGR deleted same with the ST200 Engine.

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
It looks like some of the Mondeos and MPV's didnt have EGR, but it didnt apply to the Cougars or Contours and I doubt it applied to North American MPV's.

I think EGR is a personal choice as far as whether its a good idea or not. B3nn3tt is right that Ford put it there for a reason. Theoretically it keeps temperatures cooler by poisoning combustion a little bit. It should provide better gas mileage and lower emissions.
It does seem counter-intuitive to add poison into the intake, but its a pretty tried and true automotive design practice.
Exhaust gas recirculation - Wikipedia
That hasn't stopped many of us from deleting it...but the automotive engineers would probably say we are wrong for doing so.

Also, you may run into trouble on your MOT and emissions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well there might be a different reason that we over here don't know but everyone I talked to said EGR changes so little about gas mileage and emmisons that its negligible. You would still pass emissions and gas mileage will be barely noticeable. And since I am swithcing to a SVT UIM I can just tell MOT the closing plate is just a adapter plate or maybe even remove it completley since most of them have no clue about anything not german especially if its 20 years old. Also there had to be a reason for Ford to delete it on the 2495 engines, because all of the 2544 have it. Weirdly enough the 2495s are a emissions class lower than the 2544s so it can't be that bad since the 2495 work with higher compression which usually means even higher temps doesn't it? Or maybe everything burns better that way..... idk. Nevertheless if its possible I'll delete it. I wouldn't want Exhaust Gases in my lungs so I also don't want them in my combustion chamber.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Seems like they even had a plug for the EGR hole to close it up. But maybe thats for the recall that happened with the earlier models.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts