New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planning on doing some mods to improve the handling of my car. However I don't have a huge budget on this. Therefore I was just wondering what mod would provide the greatest difference in handling? Would it be suspension, strut bars or sway bars? What difference does each make? What would be the price range of each? Finally what is the best suspension, strut bar and sway bar? Thanks everyone for your valuable opinions.

·
Registered
195 Posts
1. OMP Strut bar - bar none made the greatest difference in my cougs handling
Cost: $99 shipped
2. Eibach pro-kit springs , or any other spring setup. Cost and install varies.
3. Bigger rims.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I was thinking of getting larger rims. However I was afraid that I would loose a great deal of HP if I get 18 or larger size rims. Am I worring too much?

·
Registered
378 Posts
CougarTypeR, bigger wheels won't cause you to lose horsepower. You are worrying too much. If I were you, I would pick up an OMP strut tower brace, a 22mm rear sway bar and lowering springs.

G

·
depending on the wheels you get they can actrually be lighter than stock, however if you go with a higher circ. tire, your rolling stock ratio will go up, maybe shaving 1/10 off your qt. thats about it.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Lowering springs and perf. struts will help alot. Lowering your center of gravty, and tightening up the suspension will help in launching and cornering. A larger rear anti-sway bar is also excellent for cornering, especially on a frontwheel drive car by tightening up the rear end. Strut bars will help too, a rear one (not yet available) would help greatest, but a froint and rear one together would really tighten things up. The Energy Suspension Motor mount inserts will also be a great additon (and cheap too), it'll decrease the engine motion, and allow the wheels to remain on the ground and even the traction out, thereby reducing wheel hop. Polyurethane bushings to replace all stock bushings will also help. Excellent Tires, the most important thing in handling. Without that grip, your Million dollar suspension set up is useless. A set of wider tires will help. Personally I'm no much for larger rims, but I am for wider tires. DO NOT be singy with your tires. Get the best. Good luck.

G

·
Larger tires will not improve handling. Lowering springs will. Try an autocross or driving school, though. That'll really make your car handle well. Experience and driver make more of a difference than car. I've been beaten by 200k mile Integras (old 80's RS), Neon and Aspire rentals. Only because the driver had a lot of road racing experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.