New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this here because I feel it will get high visibility here. I hope that it remains here and is permitted to gather constructive and informative comments, but I can imagine a scenario where that might not happen. It is in the best sense of community that I make these comments.

First, I haven't been a member here long - only since March or so. In addition, I can't claim a great number of you as friends. I am not the "average" NECO'er - being much older than many of you. However, I find these forums to be a great resource. I have done much to my Cougar and continue to do so...inspired by the other cars here and the community of like-minded Cougar owners. I attended CF2005 and plan on attending the next one.

So much for introduction and on to the business at hand. I am concerned about what I have been reading in the "Announcements" area regarding the upcoming change in the forums. I do think that the forums need to be updated...they are obviously growing beyond the current software capabilities. I don't have a problem with modest membership rates, but have always felt that they limit membership. However, that is not at the heart of my concern.

My basic question is: What is NECO? Are we a loose gathering of semi-interested people, or are we much more? I count nearly 30 "chapters". To me, this implies there is a serious dedication to NECO among us. I think that the numbers and attitudes of our members will bear out this statement: we are MORE than a loose conglomerate; we are an Organization, we are virtually a club. This group of people has all the characteristics of a club, with one important exception - and maybe it is time to consider eliminating that exception.

I feel it is time that this group of serious Cougar owners formally becomes a club, complete with <u>elected</u> Officers and possibly a Board of Directors that would guide the direction of the club, make decisions for the benefit of all members and the club, and organize the CougarFest.

This may sound radical, but the explanation of the current situation definitely has a statement that income generated from this forum has gone into one car and a question similar to "why shouldn't it?". In additon, future income from even 500 members would generate $6,000 - an amount that ought to be accounted for, especially when promises are made.

I am really not trying to anger anyone here. I don't have any agenda, nor to I have any allegiances. I just have experience from many years being involved in several clubs - including one that had less than 50 members, but generated several thousand dollars every year. Again, I truly enjoy coming to these forums every day and feel that "we" all have grown to the point where this is a viable and logical direction to follow.

Again, I hope we can get some honest and true discussion going on here.

--george

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
just the other day i found myself searching for an explanation to what neco is when my friend asked me. to tell you the truth i didnt know what to say.

after thinking about it for awhile though i came to the conclusion that this is a car club and thats it, nothing really special about it. except we have a place to sommunicate, unlike some others.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
So do I.

·
Registered
301 Posts
jorge can be my secretary

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Ben, you've got it all wrong! Jorge wants to be secretary at a Middle School, not on NECO!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
a real car club with dues and everything........i feel we might loose some members to that. i like the feeling i get when i see another cougar in town and how my fife tells me to stop it when i walk up to a cougar in the parking lot and NECO pimp them.....it sounds like an idea that has potential

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Hmmm.....where oh where to start.

Elected Officials. Very simple. Why? If the board has an owner....a "president" if you will of this club, why can he not choose the people he thinks best represent his wishes, rather then say...a popularity contest based upon "exposure" or "familiarity." Thats truly what elections are in such a small knit group like this. The ones who post the most, show photos more of their cars, or in general "politic" themself for better exposure better will be choosen. Is that more fair then continuing with what has worked before? Everyone will disagree who is the best choice, at least this way of assigned roles of moderator/senior mod/admin, it removes the population from these "contests" and causes no ill-will between people. For when it comes dowen to member versus member, you are now you are putting members against each other for positions on influence. Its happened before with people getting upset because they were demodded or passed over, now you would like the entire board full of election?

Having seen how NECO reacts for over 4 years now, i know it will not be pretty.

I think moderators for category specific should always be assigned. Thats like saying DanG cant be the mod of the 3.0 section because he didnt get enough votes, but I did because people voted for me more. Make sense? Absolutly not. Those mods are usually selected for a reason and we are always updating them, usually with one huge shift every so often to clean up those that no lnoger really "visit" to help out.

Local chapters however should always remain by election of the body of its members, because they need that type of support on a more local level. It'd be silly for us to micromanage chapters, when the strongest leader of that area is the one best suited to promote, grow, and manage that territory.

CougarFest - CF already has a committee that takes care of all of the planning and events. They have been doing it since the CF inception at Indy. Are you suggesting all of their hard work be taken away because you think a "business model" would be more superior? Instead of a committe, how about just an open forum to discuss wants/needs/issues and how to approve. Thats really how things change, by listening to the people, not the people who do the listening.

Lastly...decisions for the club. This has always been the problem on here. From my experience, the members are more likey to chastise, make complaining posts, and in general belly ache over issues then they are to actualy give critical analysis of what is bothering them and offering suggestions as to remedy the problem. I have challenged many members year after year who have complained time after time to fix NECO and tell me what will make it work in their eyes, and to this day not a single person has ever messaged me. None.

This forum is very much shaped by member suggestions. If you dont think so, remember back to Off-Topic being canned and now having it back. I wanted to keep that cess pool closed for good....but members disgreed, a few (Fett/ND4SPD) for instance, provided exceptional arguments that made me rethink my opinion and for its rebirth and thus...here is the little section before you, the lounge.

So in short...elections will not work, least in my most humble opinion. I think a "committee" might have some validity simply because everyone looses touch with reality, our reality happens to be the member base here. I'd love to have a small group of folks who pick apart problems and issues for members and let us know what is wrong. Remember, we dont know if you dont tell us.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Interesting idea... I think there is already a 'loose' comittee though isn't there? I mean, if I had a question about cougarfest last year, I knew that I could go to Don, Crispy, Brad, Eric... to me those people are already 'in charge'
Them and others proved themselves at CF2004, and with the exeption of losing the AutoX, I thought CF2005 went pretty well too... though just sliiiightly less smooth than 04. - however, I hope Don (theres that name again ;) ) remembers what we suggested to him at Hamillfest and puts it into effect next year so there is less behind the scenes drama.

But as to what NECO means to me?
Its a group of car enthusiasts whos primary focus is on 1999-2002 M. Cougars, and also, continues to welcome previous owners of the car!

NECO is much more to ME than a semi-anything... I have met many friends and contacts, have learned many things, and have had many memories and experiences, both good and bad from this place.
I never would have thought it could happen, but the forums has been a major part of the past 5 years of my life... it has shaped who I have become as a car owner and enthusiast.
If i lost the forums, it would be like ending a loving 5 year relationship with 100 people as well as burning an encyclopedia on the car I own and need to take care of now more than ever.

If this forum wanted my blood, I would give it.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: Teflonworm
Hmmm.....where oh where to start.

Elected Officials. Very simple. Why? If the board has an owner....a "president" if you will of this club, why can he not choose the people he thinks best represent his wishes, rather then say...a popularity contest based upon "exposure" or "familiarity." Thats truly what elections are in such a small knit group like this. The ones who post the most, show photos more of their cars, or in general "politic" themself for better exposure better will be choosen. Is that more fair then continuing with what has worked before? Everyone will disagree who is the best choice, at least this way of assigned roles of moderator/senior mod/admin, it removes the population from these "contests" and causes no ill-will between people. For when it comes dowen to member versus member, you are now you are putting members against each other for positions on influence. Its happened before with people getting upset because they were demodded or passed over, now you would like the entire board full of election?
Agreed... However Tef, I think you would have made an excellent candidate.

The members would have to be chosen in either a 30 person over-the-top-rope battle-royal - or - just seriously evaluate who really HAS the expertise. This is one situation which popularity should not matter...
I'm going to pick on Crispy and E1 for a sec - both these people have high end paint jobs... but as Tef similarly pointed out - if they knew nothing about paint, and... heh... and bobbybooshay DID, people would have to look at the big picture - and give bobby the position... (harsh example - i apologize ;) )

In that way, there really couldn't even BE a 'vote' or a poll... we would all just have to look at the forums and who has the expertise. For that matter, everyone who posts in the 2.0L, 2.5L, 3.0L, interior, exterior etc, sections could NOMINATE someone, and then take it from there?

It could definitely be rough if handled improperly though... heh, NECO doesn't "do" voting very well :tongue:

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Sounds good in theory..... but i think the last thing we need is politicaly charged drama.

One of the strong points of this comminuty is the lack of factions and allegances. What is there is loose and flexable. We dont need to be drawing lines in the sand.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
I'm going to pick on Crispy and E1 for a sec - both these people have high end paint jobs... but as Tef similarly pointed out - if they knew nothing about paint, and... heh... and bobbybooshay DID, people would have to look at the big picture - and give bobby the position...
C'mon now, I know all about paint and how it scratches under Nissan Pathfinders! Cut me some slack, eh?

I do agree with Tef and Matt that if it were done, it would have to be closely watched to keep it from becoming a "popularity contest".

However, I don't think Claymore was referring to voting for moderators of sections. I believe he was looking more for something like a "NECO Commitee" that could be in charge of the overall workings of NECO. Things like adding new Chapters, banning members (I don't think that one mod/admin should have the authority to ban people. It should be a group decision, That would keep "renegade admins" from waking up on the wrong side of the bed and banning the first person who says "How are you?"), adding sections to the forums (Photoshop anyone?), etc.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
However, I don't think Claymore was referring to voting for moderators of sections. I believe he was looking more for something like a "NECO Commitee" that could be in charge of the overall workings of NECO. Things like adding new Chapters, banning members (I don't think that one mod/admin should have the authority to ban people. It should be a group decision, That would keep "renegade admins" from waking up on the wrong side of the bed and banning the first person who says "How are you?"), adding sections to the forums (Photoshop anyone?), etc.
Admins are the only ones authorized to ban members but that is only after our system of 3 strikes is enacted. Essentially youre given a warning and then its followed through with strikes. You shold be quite familiar with that system. If we had "renegade" admins, i would have tossed you long ago. All strikes and bans are posted for discussion. Trevor can over rule any and all decisions, same with strikes and such. We post in an mod/senior mod/admin folder for discussion.

Many bans and strikes have been overturned....right CBG? ;)

As for being an admin, like I said InsaneCervezaHombre...soon as my time here is done, its all yours and i fully expect you to ban me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
christ (don?) "if it aint broke dont fix it". leave the site the way that you found it when you joined and concentrate on your post count you power hungry bastards. here is exactly what is going to happen: nothing is gonna change. sure we'll go to a new domain and those of us that want to pay to get extras will, those that dont will get exactly what we have here now. other than that, everything is gonna stay the same. same mods, same admins, same chapters, etc.

now thats over with lets all go over to UnderGroundCove and join up! its free, there is plenty of space for avatars and sigs, and its a rockin good time! AND we have MANA!

ps george get us more smilies

pss george for president w00t

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.