New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just started dabbling in car audio so i am trying to learn as much as i can. i understand the difference between wiring in parallel and series and ohm loads. but im not certain about one thing. is there a difference in sound quality?.. for example

for both examples all equipment is identical( sub size, etc. )

if i have a 2 8ohm subs wired parrallel to achieve a 4 ohm load @150 watts of power RMS or
2 4 ohm subs wired in a series to acheive a 8 ohm load @ 150 watts RMS

same size subs, same amount of power. but would one produce a better sound?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You know questions like these are why im not MECP certified. They always get me on the test. It seems im better with a pile of wood and screws than the equations of car audio impendence and ohm's law. I know I could figure it out, just not quick about it.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I would think that the subs running an 8 ohm load would be clearer and cleaner bass. The only reason i say so is because at 8 ohms, there is less distortion usually. WHen you drop to lower ohms, in what I have seen, you usually get alot more distortion, no matter the quality of the amp.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Wouldn't the THD on the amp play a part in that though?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think that a 4 ohm would be a better sound but like it was said it all depends on the amp (THD)
and how hot it is outside and in the car..
The 4 ohm would play just like the 8 ohm but it depends on how low would want your bass
or how clean you want it..
So it depends one the listener really

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so impedence affects the tone of the bass also?

i wasnt aware of that.

thanks for the help...keep the ideas coming....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts