New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm debating if I should sell my baby. I've spent almost 10 years getting the car to where it is now and since I've thrown almost every available aftermarket parts (some of which we're hard to acquire) I could find and a ton of SVT parts some of which came off the ST200 which I made mine into somewhat of a tribute car. I'm just not going to take $4000 on a car that has more than that amount in just parts. I know the KBB for this car sucks even though its a 98% car that is completely unique and runs absolutely perfect. It's been a long expensive road to get it where it's at. Even though with NOS it's extremely quick, the mods i've done make this car so fun to drive even without the nos. There is no hesitation and the car pulls nicely and every gear. I should probably keep it and just do car shows and enjoy driving it on weekends but I still have the need for more speed which is why I'm here. I would appreciate some advice from some of fellow cougar owners and let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Whats the purpose of selling?
You wont get your time or your money back. That's the curse of modifying cars.
If you have a purpose for selling that is more important than the loss you will take, then sell. If not, then dont. Cost of ownership on these cars is pretty minimal, especially if its in as great a shape as it appears to be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's my biggest issue is losing all the money I put into it. I really do love the car I'm just looking for this type of honest feedback. Thanks

·
Administrator
15,432 Posts
In addition to everything MMC said, average private party value on KBB for an excellent condition Cougar with that mileage is around $1,500. You obviously built the car to your specific taste and chances are you'll never find someone who would pay what you want for it as it sits. If you really want to get rid of it your best bet is to part out the mods for whatever you can get out of them and and then sell the car as stock.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
For what its worth, Ive been tossing around the idea of giving away my original Cougar to my daughter. I would have to restore it to like new condition first, but I know it would mean a lot to her, and it would be a soft way for me to move on without regret.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Valid point. I'm really starting to think that keeping it is probably going to be my best option. My wife has been very good at reminding me of how often I get positive comments about the car and that I do like taking out for car shows as it's usually the only new gen cougar that's ever at these shows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I gotta say in my experience, these cars are phasing themselves out. It's been hard to find parts for this car, particularly OEM replacements for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Best case scenario, if you're wanting to sell it, keep it in storage and nearly forget about it. Eventually it'll turn into something somewhere along the lines of a rare barn find. That's when you'll get your best pay load imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts