New Cougar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making Custom Headlights that are "Shaved" into the bumper, what you guys think?

Hi, I have started something unique from my stand point. I'm sure something like this has been done before and I have been looking for it and only found 2 instances where someone actually did something really close to it but not exactly.

It all started with getting into a crash with my cougar and denting up the front end and cracking the headlights, New ones I could only find around me for about $500 so i decided to build a pair. After building a newer set of projectors from the pieces and new lenses and what not, I blew the motor(The engine that I put in not knowing it already was bad and just waiting to blow again!!) Now the cars sitting while I'm doing the new engine swap and decided in the down time to finish off the body kit and custom work. I put a Custom completely Home fabricated hood scoop, and I also Mounted the headlight lenses and then shaved them into the front bumper to make a more custom (Fluid looking) light and front bumper. Then I cut the bumper in half and decided to lower it 3" and add a little something to it, So it doesn't look completely aftermarket, yet have an aggressive look to it. Here are some pictures and what not of the progress, lemme know what you guys think!!
Any Suggestions???
I really take into consideration what you guys say, so lemme know what you think, and if you have any ideas, you might just see them next week on my cougar!

The scoop started off as an ALUMINUM Sheet metal Mold.
Then was covered with "Long haired" Bondo for rough shape.
Then it was covered with a Fiberglass Mat and Bondo Fiberglass was reapplied
Next I covered it with Bondo "Gold" body filler to finish the scoop shape off.
Last I hit it with Bondo Glazing Putty to fill all the small imperfections.
To finish, LOTS of sanding and small amounts of glaze here and there to perfect. Then Primer!
Included are some of the "In Progress" shots. I'll add some finished product pics later.

-The Headlights started off as only a lens that was put into place and Bondo was used as a sort of "GLUE" to hold it in place. Then more Bondo with "long hair" fiberglass strands was used to shape and give it the strength it needs.
-Now the body filler was applied all over and sanded.
-then glazing putty to perfect it.
-then sanded the crap out of it again and reapplied glaze.
-then finished the fine sanding and applied the primer.
-the rough shape is done here, now I'm going to drill two 3.5" holes where the stock projector styled lights were and mount the H.I.D. Lights and L.E.D. Turn Signals. I havent seen anyone do this yet, so mines the first I think. Something that has a Really unique look to it!
-Inner lights are Low beam H.I.D.
-Outter lights are High beam H.I.D.
-Turn signals are outside the high beam and also INSIDE the High beam!
-High beam has a "SUPER BRIGHT L.E.D." (Blue) inside it mounted next to the Inner Lens to give it that "HALO" kinda look. I Havent seen anyone do that. PLZ CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!

Again, lemme kno ne Thoughts, Suggestions, Comments, etc.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
Re: I'm making Custom Headlights that are "Shaved" into the bumper, what you guys thi

:ugh:

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I'm making Custom Headlights that are "Shaved" into the bumper, what you guys thi

Careful huh??:rofl:

·
Registered
7,247 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

Someone has done something similar to what u wanna do to the headlights....

And to the front bumper...

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

See, some people can't just say that its good work or that they either like it or don't like it, and persist on acting immature, I just don't get it. If you don't have something to contribute thats worth taking the time to post, plz don't... Thanks.:cool:

Cardinals suck by the way... lol:gtfo:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts

Careful huh??:rofl:
In the past, a lot of people who have asked for opinions can't take criticism... wouldn't want you to throw a fit and fly off the handle, sending a bunch of angry messages to people calling them stupid, fat, a loser, etc.

Sound like something you might do?

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Someone has done something similar to what u wanna do to the headlights....

And to the front bumper...
The headlights are not even close to what I did really, those headlights are the stock ones out of a 99-00' cougar without the lens on them, just painted and the reflector shaved. Mine are a complete headlight with recessed lights, nothing like that, you'll see.

And the bumper isn't even real, look closely, its photoshopped.
But, my bumper, AGAIN, isn't like that one either, mine has alot more into it with cuztom work, thats just a drop and body fill. kinda boring looking.

They were close, but not what mine is.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts

See, some people can't just say that its good work or that they either like it or don't like it, and persist on acting immature, I just don't get it. If you don't have something to contribute thats worth taking the time to post, plz don't... Thanks.:cool:

Cardinals suck by the way... lol:gtfo:

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

LOL!!

Ya, I guess your right, I shouldn't have asked what everyone thinks...

I prolly shoulda wrote that only people who have something contructive to say should post. All others, don't bother.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

that bumper is real champ, that guy made a fully custom wide body kit for his car. who's quick to jump to criticism now?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

and he told you to be careful because if you are molding your headlights and bumper into one solid piece you are not giving buffer room or much flex for your body to move whenever it touchs something.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

that bumper is real champ, that guy made a fully custom wide body kit for his car. who's quick to jump to criticism now?
O, well, maybe your right, but in that pic, look at the center piece, its deff not REAL looking at all!! it looks like it was "copy and pasted" multiple times to get that longer look.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts

Um, how will you see at night? And changing your bulbs will be FUN since its now permanently molded into your bumper!

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts

and he told you to be careful because if you are molding your headlights and bumper into one solid piece you are not giving buffer room or much flex for your body to move whenever it touchs something.
Ah yes, that too! :)

Many have molded the fenders to the bumper, and seen it crack within a week.
He's got alot more bondo to reinforce, but I still wouldn't trust it... too much work and too much risk for anything more than a trailer queen.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Ya, that was an already concieved thought. The lens's are actually not connected to the body supports ne where and only rely on the bumper for rigidity. They can flex in everyway that the bumper can to provide that assurance incase of a small bump into something.

thanks for elaborating on that "careful" remark. I didn't get where he was comming from seeing as how he Quoted me on my remark of "tell me what you guys think!! Any suggestions?" and added no other information to offer any insight onto what it is that hes supposed to be remarking about, one would think it was about what he quoted me on.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

You didn't even appreciate the pics I posted for you bro.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Um, how will you see at night? And changing your bulbs will be FUN since its now permanently molded into your bumper!
And changing the bulbs is EVEN EASIER than the changing of the stock bulbs because the bulb mounting fixture I made is a simple push and twist bulb removal straight off of the STOCK one!! So, if you give me time to show you, you will realize how truelly thought out the design is.

Heres a pic of the housing so show you how EASY the bulb is to remove.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.