New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a head unit to replace the crappy stock one that absolutely must have the following features. I could live without like one on this entire list but that's about it. Hopefully someone knows of a model that matches. Someone suggested that despite how crazy detailed I am, someone will still know of one :tongue: Oh and needless to say, it can't be crazy expensive like $250+

- a wireless remote
- functional down to -30F
- plays MP3 CDs with folders and has folder controls on the remote and faceplate
- the random function saves its progress while the car is shut off
- the random function selects songs in the current folder only on a folderized MP3 CD by default or by a mode setting
- the random function doesn't always play some songs and never play others...in other words, it seems actually random
- fast boot up time and new disk read time
- subwoofer vibrations within reason don't make it skip or misread disks
- the overall light given off during normal operation isn't enough to noticeably illuminate the car at night
- has composite rear sub outputs that preserve right and left with independent volume control for just that channel and it must be able to output pretty high for line level
- aux in on the front that can take line or speaker level and adjust accordingly
- isn't ugly, won't break, doesn't eat CDs, and fits in the cougar's slot
- fade L R and F B that ranges from full to muted
- some scan ahead and memory function to prevent skipping (almost all have this)

And here's some other features that would be nice but aren't 100% dealbreakers
- displays the track name while/before playing
- at least 7 band equalizer
- USB flash drive reading capabilities and port
- speed controlled volume that's compatible with the cougar (SCV)

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
I would say 'most' HUs in the $300+ price point will have 90% of the items you listed. CarDomain.com or crutchfield are great stereo resources & retailers. Both will list these items on various HUs specs.
I had some specific items I wanted in mine, and took probably a month of searching around to find what I wanted. There's really not an easy answer (as in someone saying "model x is what you want"). :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
just so you know its going to be extremly difficult to find a headunit thats gonna fit in the cougars stock slot, the mounting kit is around $25 and just kinda snaps into place. I dont have time to shop around tonight but my headunit is a JVC dvd with remote and usb, I think I payed 200 for it a year ago and it meets what you have listed as your needs. the display dims when i turn on the lights has one hell of a remote, dualzone and all sorts of goodies. bonus of having it dvd compatable....1200 songs to a disc

and if you want functionality at -30 then that kinda goes into what the actual cd is doing, at those temperatures the discs actually fog up and don't read properly, good thing the car has a heater

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Use Crutchfield to get recommendations...but personally I'll do my purchasing from either SonicElectronix.com or OnlineCarStereo.com. Both places have awesome pricing (OCS was cheaper for almost every component I'm looking at getting for my Sol) and I've personally shopped from both retailers.

SonicElectronix didnt have the 3 1/2" speakers I was looking for in stock, so they called me up, recommended another set (turns out it was a better set of speakers anyway) and had those shipped out instead.

EDIT: Damnit Iceberg...now I'm going to have to check that website out for pricing too. I've already drafted up a hefty spreadsheet comparing total prices of all the audio components I'm considering from several retailers. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Oh, and I personally recommend the alpine headunits. I had one in my Cougar for 3 years and I never had any problems whatsoever. It was very similar in capability to what you're looking for.

Of course, if you save up a few extra bucks, I'd recommend looking into the Pioneer AVIC series...but those are uhm, pricey to say the least.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
The old Clarion that was stolen from my car had pretty much all those functions, IIRC, and was right around the $220 range. Pretty much ALL aftermarket headunits will need the dash kit to work, but those are like $10 anyways. You should be able to find something decent for around $200 if you hunt around.

·
Registered
263 Posts
+2 for onlinecarstereo.com Most of my entire system came from them. The pricing on the site is great.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JVCKDG230#reviews

I got this unit from Best Buy when my stock one died... It is far superior to stock, and has plenty of the extras you want. I wanted one that had a remote, aux in, and mp3/wma playback. I'll vouch that mp3 playback is the coolest thing ever... you can skip folders, and get text readouts... its like having a 200 song mp3 player in your dash.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
it can't be crazy expensive like $250+

- a wireless remote
- functional down to -30F ??????
- plays MP3 CDs with folders and has folder controls on the remote and faceplate
- the random function saves its progress while the car is shut off
- the random function selects songs in the current folder only on a folderized MP3 CD by default or by a mode setting

- the random function doesn't always play some songs and never play others...in other words, it seems actually random
- fast boot up time and new disk read time
- subwoofer vibrations within reason don't make it skip or misread disks

- the overall light given off during normal operation isn't enough to noticeably illuminate the car at night.....(adjustable display can be very brith or not so much)
- has composite rear sub outputs that preserve right and left with independent volume control for just that channel and it must be able to output pretty high for line level4 volt pre-outs compared to most that have 2 with plenty of sub controlls
- aux in on the front that can take line or speaker level and adjust accordingly Its on the back but you could run a cable with an input to anywhere in the car
- isn't ugly, won't break, doesn't eat CDs, Nor real promiss for any compayand fits in the cougar's slot
- fade L R and F B that ranges from full to mutedNot sure if it mutes or just low volume
- some scan ahead and memory function to prevent skipping (almost all have this)

And here's some other features that would be nice but aren't 100% dealbreakers
- displays the track name while/before playing
- at least 7 band equalizer Comes with 6 not 7 IIRR
- USB flash drive reading capabilities and port
- speed controlled volume that's compatible with the cougar (SCV)

Pioneer - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod™/Satellite Radio-Ready CD Deck - DEH-P5900I

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Use Crutchfield to get recommendations...but personally I'll do my purchasing from either SonicElectronix.com or OnlineCarStereo.com. Both places have awesome pricing (OCS was cheaper for almost every component I'm looking at getting for my Sol) and I've personally shopped from both retailers.

SonicElectronix didnt have the 3 1/2" speakers I was looking for in stock, so they called me up, recommended another set (turns out it was a better set of speakers anyway) and had those shipped out instead.

EDIT: Damnit Iceberg...now I'm going to have to check that website out for pricing too. I've already drafted up a hefty spreadsheet comparing total prices of all the audio components I'm considering from several retailers. :banghead:
It looks like the onlinecarstereo.com is a little cheaper for what i looked at, i liked dealing with woofersetc.com tho and the amp i got was the Xenon line from phoenix gold, that was discontinued a while ago, and is supposed to be better then the octane line, so i was impressed with the variety that they have there. That spreadsheet is a good idea, maybe ill ask you who has the best price next time im buying something car audio:rofl:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
It looks like the onlinecarstereo.com is a little cheaper for what i looked at, i liked dealing with woofersetc.com tho and the amp i got was the Xenon line from phoenix gold, that was discontinued a while ago, and is supposed to be better then the octane line, so i was impressed with the variety that they have there. That spreadsheet is a good idea, maybe ill ask you who has the best price next time im buying something car audio:rofl:
:rofl:

I'm the best bargain shopper ever...srsly. I can stretch a dollar like it was a rubber band.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
That's a good deck. Go one series up (6900) and you'll have usb capabilites. ;)
I could not remember if the 5900 had it or not. One tip though make sure who ever puts it in grounds the the radio houseing to the car. I have read about how pioneers have a micro fuse built into the that can pop after some time which creats engine noise. Not a big issue I have seen plenty of pioneer deck that last years.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:rofl:

I'm the best bargain shopper ever...srsly. I can stretch a dollar like it was a rubber band.
no no no, sorry but I'm the best :biggrin::tongue: I'm so cheap, I don't like spending the gas money to go pick up something that's free. Seriously :tongue: lol I wouldn't be so cheap if I wasn't so poor though. Thanks to the wonderful choice of placement for the transmission box, replacing the front lower ball joints, control arms, and bearings put me over $600 in debt going back to my job 3 weeks late and this project is only gonna last about 5-7 weeks :( too bad they didn't give me a raise either but I found out long ago that I get paid more than the rest of my team even though this is my first corporate contract job ever and everyone else has been doing stuff like this for years. But I got more crazy stuff on my resume than they do and I'm 20 :biggrin: so anyway the funny part is, I should be getting $5-7 more per hour if I was actually doing a job that had anything to do with one of my degrees lol. But I took this one cuz there wasn't much else to do :tongue: If I finally do get a real programming job though, you can expect some serious mods that actually cost something (my whole trunk was like $50 if that :rofl:) that you guys might even like. Oh and back to the point, a decent head unit too :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I will advise you against shopping for anything on eBay basically. I know I'll probably get drawn and quartered for saying that, but there are much better places to buy equipment from. Audio equipment isn't so bad I suppose, but performance parts and eBay dont mix.

·
8,582 Posts
I will advise you against shopping for anything on eBay basically. I know I'll probably get drawn and quartered for saying that, but there are much better places to buy equipment from. Audio equipment isn't so bad I suppose, but performance parts and eBay dont mix.
Yeah, and some companies won't honor the warranties unless the item is sold by one of their official retailers - which many eBay companies are not. For example, the Infinity Basslink can be found on eBay much cheaper than retail, but if you have a problem you're out of luck.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Oh, and just for future reference... there is no such thing as an authorized online JL Audio dealer.

If you come across one claiming such, raise your BS flag and move on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts