New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People should not drink and drive, I do it too often and finally got caught. I had a DUI tonight, had a buddy and his girl take me to get my car, I didn't drive it home as I don't have a license for the next week till I go to my court date. I'm going to try and get a lawyer to be able to talk it down and be able to keep my job delivering pizzas. I'm not expecting him to be able to do that so I'll have to look for another job, this sucks, but it is the consequences.

Discuss and scold me.

G

·
hope you learned your lesson!

the main thing i hate is people that drink and drive, at least you werent injured or something worse didnt happen.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Congrats. Dont let it be your last. HAHAHA

Just kidding. I guess thats what you deserve. Kiss your job goodbye. :cry:

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Drunk drivers kill people like my friends. Be glad you were caught instead of having to live with the fact that you accidentally killed a couple of teenagers in their car or something. Take it as a cue to stop. Bring a designated driver or call a cab. Don't be a retard. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pizza ****, you may face more serious problems than you realize, expecially if convicted. For one, probably your local newspaper will publish your name and your convition in court and that will get all over town. You will lose your license, and if your still looking for a decent job, then it's a lot tougher to find one without a car. Some employers are asking for your license to check it out, that if a person has a bad driving record, may be a high risk to them. A conviction will also limit your ability to do out of town work. In some states and countries, it may make it more difficult to rent a car. You can be denied entry to Canada if you have a DUI conviction as considered a Felony level crime in that country and most proviences.

G

·
Regardless of penalties and inconvenience, drunk driving is nothing but stupid. Better to spend a lil more on a cab and less in the bar than to pay the price of loosing your own life or depriving an innocent person of their own. I've lost friends to drunk driving. THEY were the driver. It's not cool or smart or right. Think with your head and don't drink and drive. You got off pretty lucky with only a DUI charge. Just think of what COULD have occurred. And if this isn't your first time, then you should also be thanking whoever that you haven't killed anyone/hurt anyone/written your coug off/been arrested before. If you play with fire, you're going to get burned. Wise Up. And if you did the crime, expect to do the time. No one's gonna feel bad for you in this one. Hope when they do give you the right to drive back you learn to use it wisely. And learn when to leave the keys at home.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: LeonsCat
Pizza ****, you may face more serious problems than you realize, expecially if convicted. For one, probably your local newspaper will publish your name and your convition in court and that will get all over town. You will lose your license, and if your still looking for a decent job, then it's a lot tougher to find one without a car. Some employers are asking for your license to check it out, that if a person has a bad driving record, may be a high risk to them. A conviction will also limit your ability to do out of town work. In some states and countries, it may make it more difficult to rent a car. You can be denied entry to Canada if you have a DUI conviction as considered a Felony level crime in that country and most proviences.
i don;t think it would be THHHHHAT extreme...

and i'm 99% sure his local paper would NOT put his name in the paper... where the heck did you hear that they do that?

·
Registered
540 Posts
and i'm 99% sure his local paper would NOT put his name in the paper... where the heck did you hear that they do that?[/quote]

Yep, They print all the names here in our local paper too, It's called "The Log" Sorry about your misfortune pizzaslut. Here in Iowa you would be looking at a mandatory 48 hours in jail, 6 months suspension of your driving privledges, $500-$750 fine, and then you have to carry SR22 (high risk) insurance for 2 years. No fun.

·
Registered
330 Posts
your car insurance is gonna be a MINT hope you dont even want to mod your new 12 speed bicycle cause you aint gonna have the money

G

·
I'm going to try and get a lawyer to be able to talk it down and be able to keep my job delivering pizzas
Hope you can't talk it down and get the max penalty there is. Hope you learn from it. Lucky that you got pulled over and gotten DUI, you could've hit someone (innocent) whilst driving intoxicated.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well, your main concern should be jail time... For a first offense, you should not be required to go to jail unless there is a mandatory jail sentence for DUI in your state. There is a chance it may happen, but at least it would only be a few days. If you have an attorney - he should be able to get you out of this part unless it is mandatory. You will definitely lose your license for a few months, however you can apply for a license that will allow you to only drive to and from work. They will give this to you so you can keep your job. I think that you can only drive during daylight though - so i don't know how that is going to effect your pizza delivery job. Other than that - you will be getting a pretty large fine (Over $1,000 after court costs), plus the expense of your attorney ($200 per hour). Also, you will have to get SR22 insurance for the next 2 years. I had to have SR22 when I was 19 because of my horrible driving record filled with speeding tickets. Just to give you an idea on the cost, the insurance on my 99 Dodge Dakota was $330 a month. For the first offense, you shouldn't be in too much trouble - but watch out next time cause they will throw the book at you! The court system doesn't have a tolerance for repeat offenders on this one. I am not going to tell you that you are getting what you deserve or anything like that... I bet that alot of the people that are telling you this are guilty of your exact crime (whether they have been caught or not). But I will say "no more drinking and driving." You should know when you have had too much to get behind the wheel. Multiple offenses will land you in jail, and I'd hate to see you go there because of one night's stupid decisions. Good luck, and get a good attorney. They can make a world of difference in this situation.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
What's the difference between a DUI and DWI?
Driving under the influence
and
Driving while intoxicated right?
what's the diff?

Anyway hopefully you won't do it again and I'm glad you didn't
hurt yourself or others.

The thing that worries me is say I go to a bar I have three 12 oz
beers in about an hour and a half.
I don't think three beers will render me unable to drive and I'm sure as hell
not calling a freakin cab after 3 beers!
But the legal limit is so ridiculously low right now I could get pulled over after
smelling a beer and get arrested for DUI. So what would you guys do? Drive home?

The reason I ask is my friend got pulled over in his truck he had about 8 beers in a span
of 5 hours. He's no little guy either. I can't remember what the limit was but he was over it
they arrested him took his license for a year. He HAD to spend 10 days in jail and pay 1,500.00
worth of fines and get his truck back. He was told that if he went to a certain alcholic meeting
weekend thing that he wouldn't have to go to jail. Yeah the judge made him go anyway. His
lawyer couldn't do anything. Basically for like a year his life sucked and you know what as bad
as it is to drink and drive I felt bad for him because he wasn't "wasted" and it was his first offense.

In no way am I defending drunk drivers.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ya'll must live in small towns if they publish all of the convictions.....

(That isn't an insult)

Well, I think the important thing is that he learns his lesson and never does it again.. you can learn without having everything taken away from you, so with that said, good luck reducing the sentence, and I hope you get off with a large fine and high insurance for a long time.. and maybe some community service.. as that is what you deserve IMHO... hopefully you can keep your license, and your job... but I think that is doubtful since most (all?) pizza places require no DUI/DWI in the past like... 5 years.. I'm sure you know that data better than I do...

Oh well, time for a better job anyways... one that puts less miles on your car!

And... umm... if your job isn't directly related to driving... than isn't it illegal for them to use then information against you?

edit: spelling

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
i'm severely biased against drunk drivers, because two years ago this drunk nailed me from behind, and then decided to run. i had to follow him for 5 miles until the cops got up to him. What did he get? A weekend in jail and lost his license for 90 days. What did i get? A crushed car and a messed up neck and back, with over 6 months of chiropractor visits. I still have to go once or twice a month just to get back in line. Plus i go out of my way to avoid that intersection. Seems like i got a little more than he did... if i ever see him again i'll just have to even up by pounding the ever-living piss out of him.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I was hit by a drunk driver when I was 16 at a busy intersection. I've suffered back pains to this day, and had to undergo surgery to save my arm that night. Now I got a nice 8" scar to remind me not to d+d. I hope you learned your lesson. Trust me, you get off easy if your the drunk. It's the innocent who get punished the most.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Trust me, you get off easy if your the drunk. It's the innocent who get punished the most
yes but you, as the drunk, must live with that fact for the rest of your life.

Mike

G

·
yes but you, as the drunk, must live with that fact for the rest of your life
True, but DRUNK made FF-ing choice to drink 'n drive, whereas an innocent bystander didn't

Sorry, have absolutely NO REMORSE for drunken' drivers...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts