New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing a small vibration after my car has shifted to second and then on but only while power is being sent to the wheels. not enough to scare me to take it in right away but enough to make an appointment to get it looked at. well today i got on the interstate for the first time in several weeks and just gave it hell to see if the problem magnified itself...and it did. the car has a terrible shudder that is most prevolent when accelerating, less so when cruising and for the most part nonexistent while coasting.

atx tranny was rebuilt less than 20k ago. left CV joint replaced about 5k ago.

no warning lights, tranny fluid clean and full. wheels and tires in great condition. brakes all new. no smell or excess heat after driving,not so much a vibration but a much thicker shudder. slight hum with shudder. neutral rev is normal.

please dont tell me it's the tranny, maybe the right cv joint? wheel bushing?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don't think so. it's gotta be somewhere in the driveline. shudder as in the whole car shakes when i accelerate. if i rev it while it's in neutral nothing happens so i don't think it's in the engine

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I've never had that happen, but I don't have an ATX. The ONLY thing I can think that might do that is the tranny. I hope it's not as you said you just had it worked on. The only reason I say tranny is that I have never had that happen and I think between the 2.5 and 3L I've had just about every bolt on part fail at one point or another as I'm the original owner since '99 and that doesn't sound familiar. The only other thing I can think of would be something with your internals, but if it only happens in drive and in certain gears my thought still goes to tranny. I'm no master mechanic, but those are my 2 cents.

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
you said something in the drive line, the egr system is part of what makes that drive line go. Sure you don't feel it when you are in park or neutral, because EGR isn't used at that range. the problems you are happening are in the range that EGR is active, it could be flowing too much EGR and choking out your engine.

Try unplugging the wires from the DPFE sensor and the little black flow regulator on the back side of the intake and see how it runs. You will throw a MIL from disconnecting them but it will tell you weather or not the EGR system is causing your issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts