New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what broke on your sunroof. Is it always the sliding peice that attaches to the top? Or do the rails them selves break? If you're not sure what im talking about i can take a pic of the one i have. The reason I'm asking is because if its the same peice breaking all the time, when i make a replacement peice for my sunroof i could possibly make a few more for other people. I have another project to finish before I do this.. just wondering what happend on everyone elses. I could possibly save some people a ton of money :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mine was the little plastic piece that the arm fits into and the motor moves along the track. It just snapped in half. So I can open the sunroof just fine, but when I go to close it - the motor runs but the arm doesn't move cause it's not attached to the plastic piece.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It was that little cheap plastic piece. The sunroof opened I heard a crack and when I tried to close it it would not close. Luckily I bought my Cougar used and gave it a really nice warrenty. Everything was covered and the warrenty easily paid for itself as the total for the repairs were over $2000.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have any pics of what broke? Im not sure exactly what is broke on my own because it only vents on one side and doesnt slide back, but i have a spare parts roof and the metal hinge thing is what broke on that one.. If i can see what breaks on other ones maybe i could make that too, im just not sure exactly what you're talking about.

·
462 Posts
Mine was the arm that moves the roof up and back...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It's really cold outside so I'm not going to go tear my sunroof apart, but I drew you a picture... How the sunroof works is that the red pieces in the picture are little plastic tabs... The motor moves these back and forth across the track. The arm fits into the middle of them, and as they move they extend and retract the arms to move the roof. One of my tabs broke in half - so if you open it the sunroof still works fine because the remaining part of the tab still moves the roof back. But when you try to close it, there is nothing there to move the arm and the roof just stays open. Since only one side is broken on mine - if you try to close it only half of it will close and it gets jammed... Which is a huge pain to get out! All I need to fix mine is a stupid little 1" plastic piece... That is why I will not spend $1,000 to have it fixed. It just isn't right!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take a pic of the one i have just to make sure i know exactly what you are talking about. I think i know, but the broken tab on this on is metal. How the metal tab could break from such a small motor, i do not know lol

IF the same part is what broke on both of them i think i will be able to make a replacement.

Ill take pics when i get home from work tonight

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
99 Cougars had plastic components. The newer ones had metal. To see which part it is, just take the sunroof off and press the button to open it. The part that broke on mine is the little piece that moves that the sunroof arms fit into. I was actually thinking of making one out of wood. I don't see why it wouldn't work - it is just too cold out side right now to take on a new car project!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heres a pic i took of what broke on this one. The thing i dont understand is that this part was metal but it still broke? Isnt that what the upgrade is on the 2001 and 2002 roofs? and why dont those ones break lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts