New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a four cylinder and would be happy to share info adn i believe mekhale or however it is spelt aslo has a four cylinder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what mods have you done to your cat so far.
I only got the exhaust. I ordered the intake but they sent me wrong one...I think ill get the weapon r intake in 2 weeks. I want to get header but haven't found one for our engine.
I testdrove v6 mtx and atx. I think 4cyl cougar can take out atx. I raced with cougar v6 atx. won. impreza rs. won. I raced with eclipse 2k and spyder. atx won. integra LS. won. but I got killed by civic si.
^^

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 4 cylinder
(I don't want it).. but oh well..

You guys do realize we can actually (if we try hard enough and spend enough) build faster engines than the v6 right?

gmsu00 - go to SP Motorsports, this link should take you right to the Focus section. Since the focus uses the Zetec 2.0 16-valve engine we can use their stuff.. and their stuff is starting to come along VERY fast, and very inexpensive.. when I last went they had headers, chips, pulleys, cam sprockets, flywheels.. you get it..

·
Registered
253 Posts
ScottyB .. Your right :) I also have a four banger... I am happy with my cat. Well, a V6 would have been more powerful, smoother engine, but here in europe, germany in my case, the four banger is around $4000 cheaper that the V6. So I got the I4. I spent some money ($650 for Stoffler exhaust, $50 for K&N Airfilter, now $1000 for new 17" rims.. coming next week). Stoffler just wrote me that they are doing the header for the 2L Zetec Cougar. I will probably buy that one. Because I was one of the persons pushing them :) All the other Tuning companies here in germany stopped the 2L Zetec tuning kits for the Cougar due to low interst.
I had the V6 ATX as a rental for several weeks and it's slightly slower than the I4. But I don't care anyway. If I wanted a faster car Iwould have had many choices (VW Passat V6 and so on) But I like the New Edge Design of our Cougars :)
At least I have the possibility to drive as fast as my Cougar can on the german Autobahn... the Cougar handles great at high speeds
(> 120MPH)...
I have several links to german Tuning companies on my Homepage.
I wish you all a HAPPY EASTER from germany
Enjoy the Easter weekend

Marc

·
Registered
625 Posts
I also have the I-4.. The dealer lended me a auto 6 for a few and I really didn't notice any big change. My car is still quick and a smile comes to my face every time I look at the computer and it says 36 mpg..
I have Added the k&n and may add an exhaust for easier breathing but the I-4 is fine W/me

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MercMobile, you said you have an I4, and it says ATX in your sig. You have an I4 automatic?

As for building a faster engine that the V6... it's called a turbo

·
Registered
292 Posts
NOT to be mean or anything, but I would really like to see a 4 banger beat my V6 ATX. I have noticed something weird though, There are some bembers that have the same engine, same everything, and one happens to be faster than the other. Why is that? I didnt mean to be rude about the beating a 4 banger, its just somehing I would have to see to believe. I do however happen to have more mods than a ricer has stickers, but I would really like to se a stock V6 ATX race a 4cyl MTX stock. Whoever wins, I would just like to see by how far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 4cyl manual with cat-back exhaust. I raced with v6 cougar atx and won by like car length. I'm not saying I'm really good driver but I can drive manual pretty good. after I get my intake ill race with him again and post the video of it. also I'm going to race with 2k eclipse atx again. I wouldn't race with mtx v6 cougar, civic si, or 2k eclipse mtx. cuz I know they are fast and drove them before.
I'm not saying all the 4cyl cougars can beat v6 cougars. depends on driver and mtx or atx. I really like v6 cougar. engine sounds nice, more torque but atx has 4 speed trans comparing to 5 speed manual.
I really want to race with new celica GT so bad^^
no way I will race with GT-S mtx...maybe atx.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frank, yeah I was one of the unfortunate ones who owed to much on the previous car (which died and had to be gotten rid of) and couldn't afford to get a V6.. and although it would have been cheaper, they didn't have any MTX's on the lot. Only 2 I4 ATX's.. not very happy about it.. but it's still a cougar, and I still love it, don't mind the I4 (although I would have prefer the 6).. but I really wish I had the 5speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought the the I4 only came MTX? Or was that the 2000 model only? Or was the dealer lying/didn't know what he was talking about?

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Okay guys you shouldn't be discouraged. There are lots of mods for your engines. I believe you have a similar engine as what is in the Focus. If so you guys are hooked up. I know they have all kinds of aftermarket stuff for the Focus. Finding them shouldn't be a prob. Heck you can prolly make your car just as fast as ours (if not faster).

·
Registered
625 Posts
Does anybody know what that big black plastic box thing on top of my intake manifold is /why is it there? The Foci dont have them .It must be a temp sensor or somthing...I don't know for sure.
I am building a cold air induction that goes from the air box to the the place where the left side fog light would go ( if I had them)I would run it to the manifold if I can take that CHEAP lookin box off. Does anybody know? P.S. Gmsu00 there is a header by JBA called Cat forward for the Zetech it looks to use the stock downpipe so it may not be too hard to install look at http://www.focustuning.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GMSU i have raced a 2001 celica gt and they beat our cars by about three car lenghts at about 160 km/h....Mekhale if those hearders come out i am for sure going to buy them!!!!!!!!!I have a custom intake and then new stainless steel pacesetter exhaust...I am looking into getting a chip and a few other mods like pulleys and venom module.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
beat by celica...yea celica is fast. I raced with my friend who has BMW 323 or something last night. he has 5 speed auto and sportshift.I launched out first but he caught me when I put into 3rd gear...and by 70mph he was 2 cars ahead of me. damn bmw..^^
I only have exhaust...I'm wondering how much it will be faster if I get the weapon-r intake ....

how do you post pics? I have that pic for stock air box. I will post it if someone tell me how to post a pic?>!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I kind of raced with eclipse 2k manual one like 30 mins ago. we didn't really try to race juss showed off each other. man~ that V6 engine sounds nice. I told him to pull over and we went to parking lots around my school(MSU) he had the injen intake and he placed the nitrous but he said he needs to work on more. he was cool. I'm glad I found manual eclipse ^^ oneday ill race him for real. juss for fun^^

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.