New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so.... i was changing my spark wires.... and upon completion, my cougar decided to start shaking and run like crap.... so i replaced the old oem wires thinking that the new ones were faulty, except the problem still persists... idk what i did, im pretty sure the order is exactly the same... anyone that can make sense of what i wrote please help lol... pm me or im me at badonkadonk2369.... thanks a lot, hope to hear from someone soon!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sounds like you have a misfire. I did the same exact thing except I was checking my spark plugs and developed the same problem. Go for 6 new plugs (Autolite Double Plats), gap them to .054 and your problem should be fixed. Use the new wires as well.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,820 Posts
"Pretty sure"?

You most certainly have a crossed wire or two.

The coil pack has a little diagram that shows where each lead goes. Check it.

·
is a pop sensation
13,672 Posts
Definately recheck the wires. For some reason, the front bank follows a logical order, but the rear bank swaps two around for some reason.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Double check your wire order, make sure the wire is fully on the plug and coil. Also, did you use a grease in the boots to prevent corrosion and arcing. Its recommended but I honestly have never used when doing the plugs/wires on the cougar, but I did recently when doing the plugs/wires on my Bronco and not only is it suppose to prevent corrision and arcing, but it also helps the wire slip on to the plug much easier which is a nice bonus. If you don't have any go to your local parts store they normally have little packs by the register that cost less then a buck. I would recommend 2 packs to make sure you have enough.

·
So its begun.....
16,840 Posts
I'm going to guess either 1 and 3 were reversed on the plugs or 5 and 6 on the pack..:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts