New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, imagine this. I get my dremel, and cut big holes where the stock speakers were, then I go to a machine shop, and have them cut me a few squares of sheet metal with holes in the middle big enough for mounting the 6x9's. Then I pre-install the speakers on the squares of sheet metal, and then mount the squares to the body using a rivet gun. How does it sound? Here's a pic:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Originally posted by: madmale007
why don't you just mount them they fit in with no mods........:confused::shrug:
Our stock speakers are 6x8 so modification is necessary, but not all that Sapien is doing.

When I installed my 6x9 in the rear I just used a dremel to enlarged the whole enough for the 6x9s to fit and drilled some new wholes for the screws. Also when I cut he opening I left about 1/3 of the original hole intact. The orange area is the only metal I cut. This took a little bit of trial and error to get the right size but it was pretty simple as long as your remember that you can always cut away more, but you can't add to it.

Also this was my first time using a dremel and I had no problems, I used up about 4 cutting disk to do this mod. I also recommend using reinforced cutting disk, and pick up a small roll of dynomat and apply it to the surronding area.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
hehe i have to aree with 1badcat nasty speakers..hehehe any way why would you use sheet metal it will only vibrate and cause you to lose sound quality...(not much from a 6x9 anyway) but why lose anymore...just creat and MDF spacer that will hold a 6x9 but will screw into factory holes...and just a question about your pic above shouldnt the inner speaker size say 5x7 it is only 6x8 on the out side and with that said how is a 9x6 speaker wider then a 6x8??should they not be the same width..? anyway 1/4 MDF is all you should need to fit those in unless they match up like madmale suggests..you should even have enough roomto mount a 1/2 or even 3/4 MDF piece in there...search the how to's i have seen one in there..

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Originally posted by: crazyoldcougar
hehe i have to aree with 1badcat nasty speakers..hehehe any way why would you use sheet metal it will only vibrate and cause you to lose sound quality...(not much from a 6x9 anyway) but why lose anymore...just creat and MDF spacer that will hold a 6x9 but will screw into factory holes...and just a question about your pic above shouldnt the inner speaker size say 5x7 it is only 6x8 on the out side and with that said how is a 9x6 speaker wider then a 6x8??should they not be the same width..? anyway 1/4 MDF is all you should need to fit those in unless they match up like madmale suggests..you should even have enough roomto mount a 1/2 or even 3/4 MDF piece in there...search the how to's i have seen one in there..
Yeah I guess there are some mistakes to my diagram, it was definatly not drawn to scale, it was just ment to give him an idea.

You may be right about the 5x7 opening because when I cut the metal it had the same rough shape as the orange area.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
just from past experience 6x9 sound not so good..especially at high volumes...they are usually 3 way speakers and maybe it is just because everything is so close that it sounds bad, i'm not sure...they tend to distort and not handle half the power they say they can...you would be better off just getting some 5x7's or some 6 1/2" coaxil speakers..infinity, eclipse make nice 5x7 and you can get very nice 6 1/2" from any good speaker maker..just my experience though...someothers mat have had better luck with 6x9's...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I already have infinity 5x7's, they suck. I wish I still could plug in my stock speakers, but I cut the harness for the stock speakers out when I installed my infinities. They buzz on bass notes and deep drum beats, and I've already blown two of them. I cant put nearly as much power through them as I put through my stock speakers. I'm mainly looking for some more macho speakers, because I like loud music, and one of my friends has sony 6x9's, and sony subs, and a sony headunit, and sony amp, it sounds amazing. Loud and clear. Thats what I want. I feel like I'm listening to an old persons radio when I turn up my music. Even with the loud button on, and the bass all the way up, it sounds like a crackley loudspeaker. I think I downgraded when I traded my stock speakers out for infinity reverence. Thats all.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
i think you may have just told us the problem from my experience if you crank the bass control up and have loud button on you will not gain anything as you are trying to ask the speaker to do too much as long as you remember that a speaker can only do so much you'll be fine try this
- put all your h/unit settings back to "level" ie:where they are when the power has been just been connected to it,then leaving the loud button off try adjusting the bass/treble level's a bit at a time you will hear the point that your door speaker's cant take more than your trying to give them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
the problem is not nessisarly with the speaker, or speaker size. a round speaker generally will be more linear than an oval speaker. also when you look at a 6x9 under some volume youll actuall notice the outsides of the speaker cone "flexing". this is largly in part that the cone although made of polypropolene in most cases still does not have the strength to stay in shape when the voicecoil of the speaker moves.
2nd- if you bought new speakers and still have a factory radio and you wanted it to play LOUDER you need to back to your sales person at circuit sity of best buy and bonk them on the head, telling them to get a clue. if you want to play loud you need 2 things- more power(amplifier) and more speakers!!!! thats it folks. plain and simple. bass notes are harder to reproduce at high volume levels from any 5, 6, 5x7, or 6x9. these speakers were not designed to play bass notes SO YOU NEED TO GET A SUBWOOFER!!! seriously even a small box 10" with 100 watts is gonna make the biggest difference on any system without a sub. also when you turn up the BASS control on your radio its just a boost of 1 frequency spread out over a wide range, so when your bass says +6 youre just basically turning up 100hz, and boosting nearby frequencies. the problem is that even though the speakers are playing more "bass" the speaker still wasnt designed to play those notes, so it turns out sounding like a muffled, wacked out bass drum. again BUY A SUBWOOFER!!! anyway PM me if you need to know more.
josh

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
yes these guys are right your settings are way off and you need more power...after you hit that guy at circut city or where ever it was (i would suggest a small baseball bat) tell him to point you in the direction of a decent head unit...that is the first problem..second if you want truer bass get a sub...like he said even like a bazooka tube if you dont have the coin for somethin else<---they are self amplified....and third adjust those settings properly...currently my deck has the bass at -3 and the loud off...that is the dumbest thing stupid button...should not be used over volumes of say 10-13 or if your deck works in -DB then not more then quarter volume...or just never turn it on...sure way to blow subs and speakers (too much clipping) that there should CLEAR up your problems...my car bounces rather nicely with those settings and my gain control on my amp is also only at about half...and FYI adding 6x9 will only make the crackling you hear now a whole lot worse and one other thing just because your friend has sony every thing it wont make it sound any better then a mixed variety of the same quality components..all one brand it just for show...nice to have it match.
---
that is the first i have heard of infinities sucking...i imagine it is your settings blowing the speakers not the speakers them selves which model of 5x7??the coaxil or component, refeernce, kappa, hmm not sure if they make perfect 5x7's...i will check..anyway reference are good but the kappas kill them..

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Return the 6x9"s and get either a 6.5" or componenet set of a tweeter and 5" or 6" mid bass.
A 6x9" is the worst invention to the car audio industry as in producing bass.
And about 2 way and 3 way garbadge. How will bass be produced effeciently if the cone has a hole in it and a post with tweeters sticking up through?
There is enough interferance to I guess make you believe its loud because the tweeters cover all the raggedy distortion from the larger cone.
As stated above many times, they shouldnt be used to produce bass. They can and will, but X-overs are the key if you must have them installed. They can be extremely loud with vocals and higher frequencies, add some bass and might as well install one in a toilet.
X-over's set to minimal low frequencies will work, then go get a sub and adjust to match the overall sound desired.
Now another thing is the loudness control. Thats just one of those features to make it all loud and impress the buyer into thinking its going to add a cherry on top (or sound better), but hell if its clear. Nuff said about that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Im getting components soon also so don't yell, but here is where i mounted my 6x9's

It adds a nice boost to the interior sound especially since my interiors are stock and running off the headunit. Oh and i also have a fiberglass sub box (a bit messy and not totally in but you get the idea,

and the other side in 1/2 done. now all i need are amps... lol donations are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
mitch that is looking good so far...BOSS arent the best subs but will definately give you more bass then the 6x9's...really unfortunate you cut those holes in your rear dck though..after you get the subs up and going you are gonna want to scrap those 6x9's...anyway what are those subs rated for power handling and ohmage? you will want to make sure you get a good clean amp that wont distort those in any way..i have seen some really well priced HIFONICS amps on ebay lately great amps with lots of power and pertty darn clean as well...anyway...that will be your best bet at getting one cheap just make sure it is a good name..try to buy it from those online stores on ebay they will give warranties as well..good luck and i hope it all turns out well..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oh, ive had the system running for a long while now im just re-doing and upgrading everything, and the boss subs kick a lot of ass believe it or not. For the 120$ i spent on both i would say that i defiantly got my moneys worth. My friend got 2 10's and spent like 300$ on infinities the other day and id still say that my one 12" competes with it pretty well, i just cant wait till i get my other fiberglass cabinet done. I was defiantly suprised at the quality i got from boss from their subs at least. they are 700w peak and 350 RMS at 4ohms. What i meant by getting amps, is i wanna replace the amps i have now. They are way underpowering everything. But yea, the 6x9's do suck, they peak out all over the place even with the HPF on but i think ill leave em there, they look good and its not like they aren't doing anything, so i figured id just add more speakers and leave thoes turned down so they don't peak out but still add something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.