New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am i wiring this right?? this is what the guy at best buy said to do.

amp 1 is 760 watts, and amp 2 is 300 watts (both max power). and the cap is 1 farad. is this all ok?

·
Registered
198 Posts
According to This Website you are doing it correctly.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
looks right to me just try to keep those wire after the cap as sort as you can..especially the 8 AWG wires...you will lose power in those to resistence..and to be safe you may want to use fused distroblocks for your power wiresthis is because your one amp will draw say 50 amps and the other 30...therefore the inline fuse you have at the front is an 80...but if you get a short or surge and your cap doesnt stop it then one or both of your amps will get hit with and 80 amp zap...not good..find out the draws of both amps and put in the corresponding fuses for each..you never know..and i am sure it was expensive i know mine was.....if you dont get fused distro block then i would atleast put in two more inline fuses in the 8 AWG wires..hope that helps..i wouldnt want to hear about your car going up in smoke..

Mitch that is a sweet site.....it should be made into like a sticky link here..i am sure itwould help a lot of people

one more thing i belive that the caps ratings (1 farad in this case) are based on the RMS/Constant max output of the amps not thier peak power...but anyway you should be fine with those amps and 1 Farad

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha, smoke isnt good. thats for sure. my distribution block is fused. atleast the power one is. does the ground need to be??

also, for amp 1 (the 760 watt one), is that ok to have 8 gauge wire running to it from the dist. block as long as its short? or is that too thin of gauge??

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
what kind of amp is it...i am sure it only has 8 awg acceptor on the amp anyway so it will be fine just keep the wires short...do the amps have external fuses on them and if so the combined total is what the fuse in that particular line should be...and like wise for the smaller amp..is your main inline fuse an AGU or ANL?<--the one by the battery

grounds dont need to be fused

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Ground should not need to be fused.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
didnt think grounds needed to be fused lol. but thanks for the clarification on that.

my big amp is a 760 watt pioneer amp, and the other one is a 300 watt visonik amp. i know the pioneer one has external fuses, but i havent checked out the visonik on enough to know...its new.

but ill just keep the 8 gauge wire as short as possible.

is your main inline fuse an AGU or ANL?
i have no idea what those are lol.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i have that one.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
you don't want to put a fuse after a cap
and if it were me i would only put the cap for the amp running your subs
that should be the only thing that needs a huge amount of current at once
i'll wait for someone like josh to field this better though

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
it is true that the smaller of the two amps wont need the caps power reserves but it is better then running two power wires..he could just put the distro block before the cap and then run the wires to the appropriate amps.. something like this

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pic doesnt work crazyoldcougar. but the thing with what your saying is, that then the 8 gauge wires would be longer than they probably should be. and with the fuse being before the cap....it is. the main fuse in the 4 gauge wire is right after the battery. i forgot to add that in my drawing. but the dist. blocks are also fused.

what would be the problem of running the smaller amp off the cap too?? doesit take away from the power going to the larger amp?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
damn i dont know why that pic doesn't show...when i look at the page it is there...ohwell i will just attach it here so you can see what i mean...i wasnt saying that the wire cant be more then ia foot it would just be benifitial if it is short...the shorter the better..my 8 awg is about 16 inches long to my amp but anyway..

and i dont think there is any reason why you cant have it fused after the cap..it would just be easier to fuse it before..the cap itself will also absorb a degree of surge..most of them are rated for 20 volt surge i believe..but anyway take a look at the attachment to get a general idea of what it should go like..

all the wires to the 2nd fuse/distroblock are 4 awg all the wire there after are 8 awg other then the one from the distro to the cap which can be either 4 or 8...make sure your grounds are the same size or larger then your power wires...if you do it exactly as pictured then the ground from the cap should also be a 4 awg...but from the amp to the cap can be an 8 awg...man i hope all that makes sense..

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha. took me a sec to think about it, but i get it now. so basicly, its just moving the dist. block to before the cap, and not running the 300 watt amp off the cap. and also, i will be left with a negitive dist. block (one 4 gauge to two 8 gauge) that i wont need...right?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
well if you wanted just for show i guess you could use the ground block...just kinda turn it around put the grounds from you amps into it (8AWG) and then run a 4 awg out of it and ground it beside or to the same spot your cap is grounded..it just be a show thing though and not benifit you any..would look kinda cool if your using stinger stuff..they have really sweet ground terminal ends...they kinda have the wire go into the side of it and then there are hole for two screws to mount it to the frame...it looks kinda like one of those old clocks you would see on a fire place mantle..they also have 4 awg to 8 awg pins that you could use if you wanted to run all 4 gauge wire and still you use your current blocks..they are just teminal ends that have an opening for the 4 AWG wire on one end and on the other it is a solid pice of brass the size of an 8 AWG wire..any way best of luck with the rest of your install i really hope all works out and post pics when you done..

PS BTW the pic i drew is pretty much exactly how mine is done..i have no problems and NO Dimming lights...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts