New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving along the I-95N in RI doing about 70mph. I saw EVO passing me doing at least 120MPH I downshifted and said lets try but he was way a head of me and I decided I'll pass since my exit was about 1 mile ahead. Next thing I see the Evo sliding sideways and ending up hitting a wall under the bridge. I stopped and to my suprise the driver and passenger were sitting outside. One of them was looking at the car and kept on repeating OH NO,OH NO,OH NO but they were alright........The car was complete total the front was gone...... I am Happy I didn't decide to race it could of ben worse.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
The beginnings of the EVO 's soon to be high insurance rate history.....

Its a good thing you didnt race them. Well maybe if you did they would have slowed down first for the 1..2..3.. and not ended up hittting the bridge. or spinning out else where down the road.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
about mid 20

·
Registered
832 Posts
My dad just test drove an Evo. He had some time to kill while my mom shopped so he decided to see if he could get a drive. I got a message on my cell from him saying, "Lee call me, bye." Sounded urgent but not like an emergency so I called back and he said, "Guess what I just drove?" We had been talking about 240sx's earlier so my first guess was that and my second was the EVO. I introduced him to Initial D so we're on the same wavelenght there.:biggrin:

He said it was amazing. Said it hooked up hard and cornered amazing. He even wen't as far as getting the financing looked at and it would have cost $430 for 6 years. They wouldn't go down from MSRP though.

Shame to see'em wrecked but it's to be expected with young guys and the rep the car has. People think the car can make up for their lack of skill.

G

·
the EVO is very capable of protecting a bad driver. so what it does is make that bad driver even worse, to the point were even the sophistication of this this vehicle cannot save you.
and the fact that they offered you MSRP is amazing, since you wont find someone offer less than MSRP, and most charge 5-10k markups.

keep in mind there were only 6500 made the first year. and at the rate they are being wrecked, by this time next year, there will only be about 1000 left. if you think im exagerrating check out evolutionm.net and go to the "wrecked" thread. about 2 a week.

but in the hands of a good driver.....is one hell of an experience to go to 60 in 4.5 seconds.....

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Yeah, what the hell is up with that.. on other car forums, I'm constantly seeing wrecked evo VIIIs.. there was even that kid who wrecked an Evo while it was inside the dealership's showroom floor..

G

·
its the reason mitsu didnt bring them here sooner. "stupid americans can't drive" we get such a powerful automobile and think we are EVEN more invincible. all we are doing is proving that theory. but its making my resale value MUCH higher!!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
mprtk-- Whats this rumor I keep hearing on 3SI about Mitsu voiding warrantys on the Evo? something about racing?

G

·
there is a RUMOR (emphasized) that MM of NA is paying dealerships to go out to local track events and record VIN numbers and enter them into the computer along with photographs of people racing and/or abusing them. this is however yet to be proven and seems to be a "Bill Gates will pay you to go to Disneyland" type of internet rumor (if everyone remembers that one). I dont believe it. Mitsu is however being VERY strigent on Warranty claims, eve more so then Ford was. But once again it is the dealership you go to. The dealership I go to is very mod friendly and as a matter of fact, gather around my car everytime i come in. Some people have bad experiences. but the people with problems are louder than those without. the 3 biggest problems with the EVOS so far seem to be

1. clutch weak (you do 5 redline drop type of launches on an AWD car and you tell me if you fry your clutch)
2. rust, this apparently tends to be in the rear bumper around salted road states.
3. notchy shifter, DUH, ITS AN EVOLUTION!!! NOT A COROLLA !!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mprtklr did you run 1/4m in your Evo?

·
Registered
902 Posts
First thing I would have to do is ditch the taillights..

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well, I don't buy that Mitsu didn't bring the car over cause we can't drive. There are still plenty of high HP cars being put out that young kids can get before the Evo came here.

Then there's the long track record of companies putting out cars they know are unsafe but they want to make a fast buck and sell them anyway, but that's probably more a domestic problem vs imports(i.e. see every other car Ford makes).

Remember, until the WRX came out not everybody thought there was a market for sport cars let alone sedans with turbo's and AWD. The RX7 was gone, the Supra, the 300zx, Eclipse Turbo, heck even the domestic staples the Camaro/Firebird were toast. Only the Mustang survived and that's cause it's cheap and comfortable for the money, even the Cobra. The WRX proved them wrong, and that coupled with the rise of the import/aftermarket turbo scene made the companies realize there was a demand for HP, AWD and turbo's.

As soon as Mitsubishi saw the success of the WRX they cashed in as quick as they could. Now turbo's are on the rise again, just see the Neon turbo, PT turbo, Mazda Speed Protege, VW 1.8 turbo's. Now if Ford would jump on the band wagon and sell the Focus RS in the US, or make a model of the Mustang with a 2.3L turbo like the SVOs of old and now we're talkin.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
G

·
the 2 a week is not an exaggeration. even older owners are wrecking. High Horsepower, with unsurpassed ability to cheaply make it quicker. 1200 dollars in engine work and you have yourself a 10 second car easy. that much power is dangerous. Plus the sound is not helping. at full boost, the turbo can be heard inside the cabin like a jet engine (ask deviousdev, maverik, brandy) its very intoxicating.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts