New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking around and saw a couple of carbon fiber and fiber glass hoods didn't really like them too much but I was wondering if anyone installed their own scoop and successfully made it function to the best of its ability? I'm more concerned about performance than looks in this area but I don't want it ugly either and I figure if I'm gonna spend 400 - 700 might as well do it custom

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
In general the duratec doesn't produce that much heat to make underhood temps much of an issue, especially if you run a cold air intake. The cars come from the factory with a front air dam which further proves there's little to be gained by going with a hood VENT (unless you've got a blower there's no reason for a scope of any sort beyond cosmetics) If you've got a short ram intake, aka a hot-air-intake, then a vent might do you some good, but not much as there won't be much airflow through the engine bay at speeds where it even matters, i.e. in traffic.

There's also the environment to take into consideration. Any opening in the hood means there'll be water through that opening, if you park the car outside at all this means you will wind up with a lot of water over the top of your engine, and if that gets down into the plug wells that can and will cause issues. Over time exposure to water may also accelerate corrosion, especially between dissimilar metals, such as the iron engine mount and the aluminum block, this is called galvanic corrosion and it's a huge pain to deal with.

If you want the bang for your buck in bodywork, that'll be a fiberglass hood or rear hatch (if there are any of those still floating around), the stock hood is considerably heavier than any of the composite units available (hint, even if it's called carbon fibre it's probably not, most are 1 sheet of carbon followed by chopped strand fiberglass, it looks good but it's NOT carbon fibre.), so your performance comes from weight reduction. It's up to you if you want a stock style composite hood or one of the other styles, but do consider what it'll do to your engine bay and wiring.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
yea that was a pretty good post. lol. post more pics up of your cougar. we like seeing new members cougars!

·
Super Moderator
22,050 Posts
the predator and invader hoods are the only ones that you can probably still get that are vented hoods, but you run into the problems that stuart talked about. I have an invader hood that i actually added more venting to, granted it doesnt get out much and produces a lot more heat than most cars here. that said, i can feel the heat rolling out of the vents after i get done with a run

1 - 5 of 5 Posts