New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've decided to be all show, no go with my Cougar. Chicks don't appreciate go as much as they do show! I want a system that people are gonna see, and hear and be like "holy ****!" I've got my heart set on 6 12" subs in the trunk. Not sure if there's room or anything. I don't know the first thing about car audio, so I'm gonna need some help here! Make me boom NECO!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Take out the back seats and install a wall with 4 15" subs right behind the seats. Even better with a huge port to allow for more SPL. Or you could build walls on the left and ride side of the back seats into the trunk, and put 3 12"s subs on each side. Its endless what you can do if you remove the back seats.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i know there are a few others that have it but in my opinion go with MEMPHIS HPO 12's... or i know they are new but i think the MTX 9500 series 12's have like 1000 watt rms with 2000+ peak just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by: tropiccougar01
Take out the back seats and install a wall with 4 15" subs right behind the seats. Even better with a huge port to allow for more SPL. Or you could build walls on the left and ride side of the back seats into the trunk, and put 3 12"s subs on each side. Its endless what you can do if you remove the back seats.
That does sound pretty good, but I kinda do wanna keep the back seats.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Build a big ass box that takes up the whole trunk, put 2 12"s facing up, 2 12"s facing the front, and 2 12"s facing the part of the trunk that flares out near the taillights. Thats 6 12"s and only 2 would really be visible from the top.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And then jazz it up with plexi and neons :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
basically, you can go anything. I would try and stay away from 6 12" subs unless your going with some lower quality subs that dont have large magnets. If you want major SPL, go with 4 12" or 4 15" subs with large magnets and a huge ported box.

G

·
I've seen 4 15's facing up in the hatch and I have four 15's being replaced by 4 12's facing back with the seats down. Don't know about facing 2 forward 2 up and 2 back seems like it would f'up the wave pattern. Try a wall with like the person above stated.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plan on using Concept XT12's. They're pretty big-ass subs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by: cougar11190
i know there are a few others that have it but in my opinion go with MEMPHIS HPO 12's... or i know they are new but i think the MTX 9500 series 12's have like 1000 watt rms with 2000+ peak just my 2 cents
I just got rid of my Memphis HPO 15. That thing hit 146 in a MECA competition. I took 2nd in my class with it. Make sure you have a good box. That can make all the differance.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i think the only way to squeeze 6 12 in the rear is to go with and isobaric setup...basically put in three sets of subs, 2 by 2 with their faces bolted together...i am pretty sure you can use as big a sub as you want..(magnet wise) and the isobaric set will also allow for smaller boxes...i believ it is half the size of a sealed rec enclosure size.. then you will have plenty of show with three nice fat magnets hanging out of your trunk. and some amps to go around dress here up with neon and LED's and your off to the races...lots of show and lots of sound...your gonna have to use fiberglass and you will need some one to set your gains prefectly and adjust your amps to be prefectly out of phase and to make the boxes the exact right size...personally i think you could get just as much sound out of three 12's...honestly who can hear the couple extra DB at the top of the scale anyway...your ears will already be bleeding..have fun and enjoy pics when your done please...your also gonna need some crazy mad components up front and in the back...with some serious amps to boot...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Originally posted by: tampamoney
I just got rid of my Memphis HPO 15. That thing hit 146 in a MECA competition. I took 2nd in my class with it. Make sure you have a good box. That can make all the difference.
Did you have a ported enclosure or what? need specs?pm me if you still have the specs. I have 2 15 HPO DVC's in a sealed enclosure that I was looking at porting to get more spl.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
jason

you saw my fiberglass install i had in the cougar right? (if not refer to attachment)

I just had 2 12" Kicker Solar Baric L5s, a Kicker 600.1 amp (for subs), 2 5x9 infinity reference, 2 5x9 infinity kappas, a kicker 200.2 amp (for interior)

i hit 142.7 with just that

trust me that was loud enough

if you want to win sound competitions - i realized i needed to add about 2 more amps into the picture - well maybe 1 - i came in 4th in the one SPL show i entered - i did better than i expected.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That is a good example of a free form enclosure.^^^JennaJ^^^^^ You dont need to have the subs all facing the same direction. Placement of the subs perfectly will give good SQ, but to hell with SQ if all you want is to blast away everyone around you. Build a wall and take cover. SPL setups rarely sound clean, not saying none do, but most of the time they just boom the hell out of your skull.....I like them way better than the finest SQ setup, im sick of clean, I like a good rumble every now and then.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by: ILLicitKougar
Originally posted by: tampamoney
I just got rid of my Memphis HPO 15. That thing hit 146 in a MECA competition. I took 2nd in my class with it. Make sure you have a good box. That can make all the difference.
Did you have a ported enclosure or what? need specs?pm me if you still have the specs. I have 2 15 HPO DVC's in a sealed enclosure that I was looking at porting to get more spl.
Ya I had a huge ported box. It took up most of the back. Click on my link at the bottom of the page. You can see my box with some of my tropheys. I'll look and see if I can get you some specs for two of them.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
My 4 Audiobahn 10"s hit a 152.3 and they're ported into the cabin with the seats down. All you really need is the right enclosure and you can make just about anything hit extremely hard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by: JennaJ
jason

you saw my fiberglass install i had in the cougar right? (if not refer to attachment)

I just had 2 12" Kicker Solar Baric L5s, a Kicker 600.1 amp (for subs), 2 5x9 infinity reference, 2 5x9 infinity kappas, a kicker 200.2 amp (for interior)

i hit 142.7 with just that

trust me that was loud enough

if you want to win sound competitions - i realized i needed to add about 2 more amps into the picture - well maybe 1 - i came in 4th in the one SPL show i entered - i did better than i expected.
I love that setup Sam, totally looks hot, just like you! I need to stay away from fiberglass though, as its a winter car, and I hear fiberglass will crack in the cold.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
my fiberglass has yet to crack in the cold and i pound the living crap out of all winter long..not sure how many Db..but enough to shake the paint off my car..and i havent heard a peep out of the box itself yet...mind you it is almost 3/4 " thick and i sprayed two cans of asphalt rocker cover into the box..so that is almost another 1/4" thick...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by: crazyoldcougar
my fiberglass has yet to crack in the cold and i pound the living crap out of all winter long..not sure how many Db..but enough to shake the paint off my car..and i havent heard a peep out of the box itself yet...mind you it is almost 3/4 " thick and i sprayed two cans of asphalt rocker cover into the box..so that is almost another 1/4" thick...
How cold does it get there though? Last nite, it was -32celcuis here. Not sure what that is in silly american terms, but it was effin' cold!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ok, I was waiting for someone to do a thread like this... Now, I'm doing a Diamond Plate set up to go with my chrome scheme. Right now, my speakers are mostly blown(rockford fosgate setup).... I'm hoping to have my trunk done next year.

Now...my question is... for quality show points. What interior speakers would be recomended, what subs and amps should be recomended. Not really all big into SPL... just a extremely good system that people would want to listen to at shows and attract attention.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts