New Cougar Forum banner

i wanna go fast...

2K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  CougarBoi 
#1 ·
how do i make my courgar go fast??? i have a injen intake and dua borla exhaust.... its a 2002 what is needed to get my cougar over 200 hp???? can any of you guys help??? just tell me what parts i need to make this thing hual ass... please be spacific thanks.

#8 ·
or you could always downgrade and drop in a 2.0 and slap a turbo on it. the aftermarket parts for the 2.0 because of the focus is much bigger than the 2.5 or 3.0. but there's no replacement for displacement.

#10 ·
How much are you looking to spend in the long run??

Also, what type of goals are you looking to achieve??

Since you'll need to rely on shops from what I am guessing by your posts, costs will be at their extremes, including installations, customizing, and tuning...by a shop.

#11 ·
I think I read somewhere that all the bolt-on parts available for the cougar will get you to 220hp at the crank? Like headers, I/E, SVT parts, flywheel, pulleys, MAF, etc...

Mike

#12 ·
Well the Vortech supercharger will not work with your car because you have a returnless fuel setup. Only the pre 5/99 (I think) cougars with return fuel systems can use those superchargers with no modifications. Also what transmission you got? The streetflight turbo won't work with autos, and even an ATX coug with a 3.0 wouldn't be that fast... probably around the same speed as a stock MTX (estimating here).

#14 ·
The 2.5L makes 170hp at the crank, around 135-145 whp for the mtx.

The intake and exhaust are minimal gains...maybe 5-10hp. You never know.

If you want power, you'll have to drop the money for it.

Have you checked www.cougardb.com?? You can see what many of us have on our cars. It'll be a place to start. Then you need to really decide on what you want to do with your car.

Just remember, do not forget about the suspension and driveline (tranny, axles, etc)...and if you go deep into the art of modding the engine will need a good working... And always remember tuning is key. Properly tune the car and you can make few horsies here and there, and the more mods, the more power proper tuning will help.

Again as I asked before, how much money are you looking to spend, and what are your goals???

#15 ·
HP doesn't come cheap... I did the 2.5l SVT swap, and I have a few bolt-ons, which you can see in my signature, and it made a big difference, but I can't tell you how much HP/Tq im making at the crank or wheels... I'd recommend a clutch/quaife before doing heavy modding...

#18 ·
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
Originally posted by: 2002redXR
how do i make my courgar go fast??? .
trade it in...

LMAO!! this was my exact thought as well when first reading the post. Almost impossible to make fast. Quick yes.... fast no!! big difference. My friends GTO is fast where is my cougar is quick.

#20 ·
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
Originally posted by: 2002redXR
how do i make my courgar go fast??? .
trade it in...
I would expect such a comment from a poor weighted down automatic cougar owner.

The mtx cougars are 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. F/I is a great way to make power. But the cougars can make 200fwhp easily Normally Aspirated from a 2.5/3.0 hybrid engine. Check out the 3.0 section for more info.

#22 ·
Everyone has a different opinion of what "fast" is. Some people would consider a 14 second car to be fast, other people only consider a car fast if it runs 12s, 11s, etc. To me, you have to at least be running a 13.xx 1/4 mile time to be in that category, so I'll base my advice on that.

I would say to just run a healthy shot of nitrous, a Quaife LSD, an aftermarket clutch, and some drag radials. When done properly, nitrous is no less reliable than a supercharger or turbo on a motor that was never designed for one. It's also ALOT cheaper.

#23 ·
GrandMaster & DgnZ- Play nice. I think Grandmaster was poking fun not at you specifically, but to the fact that the ATX Cougars are not as quick as the MTXs.

At least, that'd better be how it was meant...

Frank's pretty much on the money- "Fast" is a relative term. You want to be faster than the fastest Civic on the planet, it would take several hundred thousand dollars. You want to be faster than 99.9% of the Civics out there, it would only cost a few thousand.

A straight 3.0L upgrade with a S/C or turbo would be the fastest Cougar you can get short of a RWD conversion and a V8.

#25 ·
PM CougarBoi,

He just got 3.0 / PnP SVT Heads & Cams / Fidanza / Centerforce / custom chip done somewhere either in Mass or CT... said after everything + install it was like $3K

his **** is quick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.