New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes at idle the the temperature rises above normal but never went all the way to the right on the gauge. then when i start to move again it drops back to normal. its only sometimes, it happens just once in awhile.

i just wanted to ask if anyone has used the apora water pumps from autozone. from what i've heard is that apora used to be GMB. autozone has them for $60. i know customcougars.com and spmotorsports and various other sites are selling water pumps, but they are $80+ and i dont want to wait for shipping.

so should i get the apora water pumps (GMB)?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Typically, this happens when your fan motor or fan motor relay goes.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
need more opinions please!

i changed the relays, the over heating is happening more often. the heating up seems to be more consistent now rather than once in awhile. the gauge starts to rise once i get above operating temperatures and keeps rising until the fans turn on. even when the fans turn on, it barely goes down. it starts to go down when i start movin, but the gauge seems to find itself to rhte right side again.

so i was like damn i gotta shell out money for a water pump. but before i go out and buy a new water pump, i pull it apart just to save myself $60. the water pump looks fine (picture attached).

i also changed/flushed the coolant.

now im stumped, is the engine really overheating or is there bad sensors somewhere? maybe my thermostat is about to go?

im thinkin my thermostat is about to die and it's not opening sometimes. how can i tell? i also have the thermostat out of the housing. i can take pictures of it if you guys can tell if its broke or not.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
For the $10 or so, I would just replace the thermo. Your water pump looks fine...but I am no expert.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
This is the IDENTICAL problem my buddy has on his 96 Contour... replaced thermostat and the problem was fixed... it's just a matter of making sure you put the new thermostat in exactly right.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hopefully, it is the same exact problem as ur friend.

btw, if anyone needs new fan relays. let me know. it turns out this wasnt the problem cuz my fans still turned on. shoulda checked before i bought em! doh!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just got the gaskets i need to put eveything back together, and a 180 thermostat.

question: i forgot how the oring gasket goes onto the thermostat. does it go on top side or the bottom side?

i included a picture for you guys to answer.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
referring to the picture, i think its suppose to be on the top side. i put it on the bottom side, then coolant started leaking through the thermostat housing. so i took everything out and put the gasket on the top side, and the leaking through the housing has stopped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts