1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my MAF is fouled.

Tell me if I'm on the right track.

The symptoms:

When starting out from a stop, the car has a serious bog or hesitation, like it's loading up with fuel. In fact, it even backfired through the intake once this afternoon when I hit it just right.

If I launch at 1500-2000 RPM's there are no problems, it takes off okay. It accelerates fine, both around town and on the freeway, once you are already moving. Only starting out from a dead stop and letting out the clutch normally, with a little throttle, seems to cause the problem.

No CEL has appeared yet.

Another reason I suspect the MAF is that I just cleaned and re-oiled the K&N about a week ago for the first time since I got it. It's entirely possible that I over-oiled it, and fouled the MAF.

So does it sound like that may be the problem? It would be easy enough to clean it, I guess, but I would like to know what to use to clean it with. I don't want to destroy it. So what is a safe material to use to clean the MAF?

·
Registered
674 Posts
RE:I think my MAF is fouled.

I could see the oil from a K&N clogging a MAf......I would say try electronic parts cleaner, but dont quote me on that.

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: I think my MAF is fouled.

Yeah, I'll have to buy a can of electrical parts cleaner; I should have some of that around anyway. What about regular ol' rubbing alcohol, and swabbing with a Q-Tip™?

I don't even think it's necessarily clogged; just that the filament is probably coated with oil, messing up the readings.

BTW, what causes a pop through the intake: rich or lean?

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Cleaned the MAF thoroughly, no change. I'm feeling the fuel pump right now...

Besides the bog at takeoff, I also get a slight, almost imperceptible buck when I gas it at lower RPM's (around 2000-2500). If I'm at high RPM's it's okay.

Does this sound like a fuel pump issue?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
RE:I think my MAF is fouled.

well normally the buck is when you floor it and stuff. Like if you flooring at a stop your fuel pressure drops down to like 2 psi when it should be something like 40 psi or something. I know gyger hooked up a OBD-II and drove around and monitered his fuel pressure. You have to be driving otherwise it wont work at all.

My fuel pump went bad and I definately know what your talking about when you mention the bucking.

Tony

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks, Tony; looks like I'm getting on the phone with BAT tomorrow...

You know, I'm just going to start posting everything in the Ohio NECO forum - you guys are the only ones who ever respond... ;)

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered a fuel pump today from BAT. Pulled my back seat out last night in preparation. Merry Christmas, Cougar!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Andy -

It sounds like the fuel pump to me - I've had two go already and am having pretty much the same problems that you are now - except that mine hadn't backfired like yours did...until today it did it twice. I took it to the dealer about a week ago to have them diagnose the problem (the fuel pump was replaced just under 10,000 mi ago, so it's still under warranty) - and of course they said it wasn't the fuel pump, that I needed the plugs, wires & coil pack replaced and my injectors flushed -- including the charge for diagnosis ($126) it would be $864 for the work!! Obviously I didn't have them do the work - I'm taking it to have my brother-in-law who's a mechanic look at it & see how the plugs look and possibly replace the plugs & wires - and having him check the fuel pressure to see if that really is the problem. I'll let you know what I find out.

Chuck

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced my plugs about 2000 miles ago, and I'm doing the wires today. Changed the fuel filter yesterday, with no results. Please keep us posted, Chuck, thanks.

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE.

I have nailed down the symptoms. The bucking/missing only happens below 2500 RPM's. Starting out from a stop, or accelerating on the highway without a downshift, it bucks and misses and basically throws a fit. Sometimes, ONLY SOMETIMES, it idles rough and acts like its going to die.

If the RPM's are over 3000, I can give it all the accelerator I want without a miss. So naturally I have to row the gears a lot these days.

SO FAR:
One bottle of Techron.
Put in a new set of Autolite platinum plugs.
Replaced fuel filter with a new Purolator.
Another bottle of Techron.
Replaced Motorcraft wires with a new set of Ford Racing blue wires.

STILL no improvement (although the pinging has pretty much stopped). The new fuel pump arrives this week from BAT. If this doesn't fix it, all that's left to be broken is the DIS pack. And maybe an injector or something. I'll update after the fuel pump replacement.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Andy,

OK - it WASN'T my fuel pump. I replaced the plugs & wires - the plugs didn't reallly look bad, but replaced them anyway. The other problem I've had is the loud noise (I could only assume it's the "moosing" noise) so we replaced the IACV - and it runs great --- accelleration is nice & smooth from take-off all the way up through. Total parts cost $108 - much better than what the dealer wanted...and that wasn't replacing the IACV.

Chuck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts