New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I know its for Honda/Acuras
But is it really that simple? I mean for the Zetecs I can see it. But what about the Duratecs? I don't have 5 grand just sittin around in a cookie jar :tongue:

·
Registered
832 Posts
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/20.shtml

It is that "simple". Any good mechanic/welder can fab the parts to make the hardware for a turbo setup. Until I found this site I had no idea how i'd turbo my car affordibaly. This is where I learned almost everything I needed to turbo my car. Even with all my other reasearch this was what got me thinkin it was doable.

Hardware fabing is the "easy" part, and it still took us 2 months to make the initial kit. Engine managment is the hard part. If you can custom make all the work yourself or have a friend or relative do it for free, you can make a base 5psi turbo setup for $1000 or less with bargain or used parts. The big bucks is fuel managment. Unless you have a return system it's not cheap.

But unless you are a great mechanic/welder or can get the work done free, you're better off sticking with StreetFlight.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh OH!! I have a return :biggrin:

And thanks for that link as well.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Originally posted by: LostRacer
Oh OH!! I have a return :biggrin:
Oh you evil bastard!:mad::tongue:;)

With a return line you could push an easy 50HP more for as little as $1500, if you get used parts for get lucky with a few sales and auctions.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:evil: Ebay here i come...

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
So If I toss you $2k, you could tack on another reliable 50hp to my return cougar?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Originally posted by: Aries
So If I toss you $2k, you could tack on another reliable 50hp to my return cougar?
You toss me $2K and i will throw on 75 horse to your cougar. And mine too.
Nitrous is cheaper.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I can't weld so I can't make enough money off $2K to do the work, and I wouldn't even try to work in the V6s cramped engine bay. Nitrous is of course easier, but you gotta refill the bottle probably with every gas fillup if you juice as often as I boost.

Yes, nitrous is easier, but it is a serious point of pride to me that this kit is all home-made just me and my Dad doing the bulk of the work and having something nobody else has. And I have one of the 10 most powerful New Edge Cougars on the road and maybe even the most powerful Zetec Cougar on the road if not at least on these boards. And the car still feels slow.:biggrin:

·
Registered
506 Posts
yeah but we can agree that almost everyone on this board didnt buy their car for speed. You can only get so much out of this car (for a resinable price) hp and torque wise. But making it faster than stock is nice, because stock they are not as quick as they should be.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Tru dat.

I also didn't buy this car for speed, but the speed bug bit me. Now I'm just gonna squease out the most HP I can out of this little baby.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I just read the how-to and if it is truely that easy, how come we can't found someone to make a self install kit for that cheap. And why can't there be a generic chip to safely tune it for a cetain amount of boost. Then if people want more boost they can get it tuned and reprogramed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I can do this CHEAP kit that you want. But, I came up with this ide a long while ago and was shot down. The kit can be done for around 1000-1500. You have to gut your precats, install the y-pipe and intercooler, injectors, chip and fuel pump. This is it. Noone wants a cheap turbo kit do they...?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I supported your turbo, you have taken the beatings on here pretty well :thumbsup:

I still think you have potential to produce some great stuff for the cougar community. Now here is the $1,000,000 question, would your "cheap" turbo work on my damn ATX :banghead:

Also a "safe" boost level is what i'm looking for, if I wasn't planning on going to grad school next year, I would blow my engine to hell and back but, right now that is not an option. If you think you can do it for that price on a ATX, I will get back to you in late spring once I see how far I can get myself out of debt, before I put myself knee deep back into it.

Maybe an unveiling at CougarFest :biggrin:

·
Registered
674 Posts
cheap turbo?? I sure as hell do not have 5 g's to blow on the street flight.....and I'm also not looking for something huge that will kill my tires, tranny and engine. How possible do you say this is. I've been thinking of trying my luck at fabing one with my friends but that would take some time. Let me know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts